RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog Food Storage

8K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  Dave Burton 
#1 ·
Need some info on how you store your dog food instead of using just the bag. Any help would be great.

#4 ·
same as above. with wheels is nice!!

#6 ·
I leave mine in the bag and then put the bag in an airtight container (I have a metal Oscar the Grouch type with a lid). Vittles Vaults are very nice

#8 ·
Vittles Vaults the large one fits the large pro plan bag no problem and they are made with NSF food grade plastics. I like the vaults because the lid screws on and has a rubber gasket to seal in freshness. Major pet food stores have them as well as Costco

#9 ·
I welded a metal container with a down spout and slide valve to pour into a cup so I know exactly how much im feeding each time and bolted to the studs in the kennel shed.(not where dogs can get to it though )

#17 ·
Wow no wonder a bucket of chlorine for my pool costs so much its not the chemicals but the darn buckets they come in.

#13 ·
I bought a plastic container that has a foam gasket and a snap lock lid at Pets Mart.

It's smaller, about the size of a typical kitchen garbage container. I got it for food while traveling. It can only hold about 15 pounds and a scoop and 2 pans. The foam gasket works great. It keeps food for a long time. They sell them in larger sizes and they were reasonably priced.

A plain old trash can works too.

#16 ·
Due to being out in the Boonies, I buy my dog food in 10 bag lots. I store it in a clauset that is more or less mouse proof (mostly more). I then put the bag in a galvanised garbage can with metal lid which sits on a rolling platform to go to each kennel run. I've had rats chew up all types of plastic containers and yes I have put out rat bait, but I fear the dogs getting hold of some of it. Works for me for 23 years now,Bill

#18 ·
#27 ·
Dog food bags are designed to keep the food fresh for months until the bag is opened. If you roll the bag tightly after it is openned it is still the best storage for your dog's food. If you need protection from rodents or want to add another layer of air-tight protection put the bag in the bucket, garbage can, or other container.

An added advantage of keeping the food in its original bag is that if there is ever a dog food recall you will have the production code and expiration date on the bag so you can tell if you have food that is affected by the recall.

Swack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.