The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: HRC Introduction Upland

Default HRC Introduction Upland

So the clubs is thinking of putting on an Upland training day, to basically introduce everyone to the HRC style of test. However of our club members, only 2 people have ever ran the HRC test. So the questions is who's ran these tests and what were the novel aspects of them in regards to setup. We basically want to hit every type of inventive upland scenario that's out there, (HRC/NAHRA etc.) (quarter into a trail, running in brace, etc.) to get people to prepared for an upland test, but also have some fun with their dogs on aspects a lot of people never see in training.

For reference

HRC upland (at least what I remember)
    Quarter with 2 natural flushes (steady to shot-flush)
    Walk-up; ideas on how to make it flow with the rest of the test.
    Honor

NAHRA upland portion (Got a bunch of NAHRA dogs in our club)
    Quarter, Sit to flush & Trail
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-29-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Lisa
    For the most part I have only seen the standard UPland test that you saw in Montana, I have never seen a brace even though it is allow the problem can be the difference in breeds of dogs running the test. A Clumber Spaniel vs a Lab for example, are you going to expect the Lab which is a much more fast dog to hit the field into a quarter, to stay back and not invade the spaniels part of the course? With different breeds of dogs comes different styles and speed.

Trails are fun but again during a test if the conditions are not right you will be dragging that trail more frequently, you can use them in your example to trail into a the quarter portion of the test. There are several videos on the web that show different upland tests.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I've not seen a HRC Upland but if you are doing an upland hunt with a flush for training...... after a dog retrieves the shot bird have them postion themselves in a safe place as close as possible to honor. Then when the running dog picks up and delivers it's bird have the honor dog run a blind retrieve with suction from the flush. Then keep dogs a coming. You get work on upland hunting, steady to flush to shot and fall, an honor and a blind. Run free then come under control,control, control. Sounds like some fun. HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Harry what you just describe is a possible new level of Upland testing in HRC.. more to come on that soon.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I personally wish Upland would get more interest. In the Southeast, many clubs no longer have an upland.
    Tom Dorroh

Tom, I actually mentioned that to Kim Smith not too long ago. Maybe we can talk him into giving it a try. Nor sure how far judges would have to come from though.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.