RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Which Zinger Winger

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Howard N 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a Zinger winger and couldn't decide on which one. I see that they throw different distances and was wondering what are the benefits of a winger that throws farther. Any input on on which winger and the reason for choosing that winger would be great.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have two each of both ZWII and FT. I like the FT ones best as the pouch is larger so I use my smaller ducks in the ZWII. The FT also has opening for three types of noise (primer, 32 blank and 22 blank). The FT is a little heavier than the WZII (by 2-3 lbs) so if you are walking them out it will make a difference. The ZW II is also a little shorter and takes up a little less space.
While not quantative, it seems like I spend more maintenance/repair time on the ZWIIs.

Each has their pluses and minuses.

#3 ·
I have the field trialer. Further is better in my opinion. As the rubbers get older the throws get shorter anyway. I think most of us change the bands a few months too late rather than too soon.

I guess it depends what you're throwing too. Some ducks are pretty heavy. If you use it for fliers stronger is better.

The smaller ones are decent if storage is a problem.

#4 ·
I have 3 mini Zingers and a field trialer. I actually traded a friend a field trialer for the 3rd mini. I don't need great huge throws and find the minis alot easier to get in and out of the back of the truck. We don't get a lot of use out of our wingers as I much prefer a hand bombed bird and there always seem to be lots of people here to throw.

#6 ·
The FT does come with shorter hooks. But I bought some extra hooks and put them on my ZWII. This was very helpful when I was recovering from back surgery and couldn't bend down so much.

#7 ·
MiniZ. Small, Compact, and throws great. I my opinion hey throw beter than the Zinger II.

#8 ·
2 FT's nice high arcs, seem actually easier to tote in the field than 4 shooter BB. nice to have bird throws now and then

#9 ·
I have 3 FT's and a couple of smaller ones ... not sure which ones. Small ones are definitely easier to haul around .... particularly if you have to carry them any distance. Small ones work reasonably well with pigeons. However, not so well with large ducks. If I could only have one, I would definitely get the FT.

#11 ·
I've got 3 FT's. They barely fit in my Avalanche. I actually have to tilt them up at a angle to get the tailgate to close. I like them, but if distance is a concern then the FT is the way to go. An another option is to buy the smaller one and then replace the bands with the theraband stuff to get farther throws with the smaller one. Granted if you get the FT's and put theraband on them you'll get even farther throw. The FT can also do primer loads for noise.

#12 ·
You can get the smaller ones and put theraband rubber on them and they'll throw farther. Granted you could do the same to the FT and go even farther. The HT looked huge and I knew it wouldln't fit in my truck.

#13 ·
Here you are all in one spot to compare

FEATURES:
Weight
Dimension
Maximum Throw Ducks
Maximum Throw Bumpers
Free Standing
Remote Capability
Fire "blanks"
Zinger Winger II
13 1/2 lbs
25" x 56"
folds to 1 1/2" flat
20 yards
30 yards
Yes
Dogtra/
Tritronics

209 primers
Field Trialer
15 lbs
25" x 65"
folds to 1 1/2" flat
25 yards
40 yards
Yes
Dogtra/
Tritronics
.22, .32, 209 primers
Mini Zinger
12 lbs
25" x 49"
folds to 1 1/2" flat
15 yards
25 yards
Yes
Dogtra/
Tritronics
.22, .32, 209 primers
Hunt Tester
18 lbs
25" x 79"
folds to 1 1/2" flat
35 yards
50 yards
Yes
Dogtra/
Tritronics
.22, .32, 209 primers
Uplander
8 lbs
8" x 16" x 8"
10 yards
20 yards
Yes
Dogtra/
Tritronics
209 primers

COMPARISON CHART

#14 ·
I have two of the mini Zinger Wingers. They throw far enough for my purposes in most cases. On top of that they fit in my truck better, are far easier to pack around from one set up to another, and in my case, if they were 1 inch longer they wouldn't fit in my plane (yes, I can, and do, put two in my plane and fly out to train my dog ocasionally)

#16 ·
Personally Id try to match the throw to whatever game you may play.
At a ft you won't see many ducks 40' up and thrown a crazy distance.

Myself I use only uplanders. But train occasionally with friends with larger models.
IMHO. Don't train with a bigger throw than you will see at a trial/ test.

#17 ·
You will see hen pheasant flyers going a good distance. It's good to train with throwers that can really wing one out now and then. Kind of a pain in the fanny but you can always shorten up the throws by not hooking up a rubber band or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.