The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what age will a puppy go crazy about retrieving

Default what age will a puppy go crazy about retrieving

Just wondering at what age will a puppy go completely crazy over retrieving. My 10 week old puppy seems to love it for about 3-5 times and then he just kinda could care less. I quit when he shows that he has had enough. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by weasle View Post
    Just wondering at what age will a puppy go completely crazy over retrieving. My 10 week old puppy seems to love it for about 3-5 times and then he just kinda could care less. I quit when he shows that he has had enough. Just wondering what everyone thinks.
    They're all different, but you should try to keep him crazy about retrieving. Try to learn to quit before he's had enough.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    They're all different, but you should try to keep him crazy about retrieving. Try to learn to quit before he's had enough.
    Yea what John said.
    If he wll do it 5 times stop at 3. If will only do it 3 times stop at 1. Always do less than you know he will do, thus quitting with him wanting more.

Plenty of time,still very young. I was a little worried to begin with. Was pretty sure everything would work out fine because of breeding and breeder assurances.But she seemed almost interested . Turned into a retrieving maniac,jumping for the bumper and bringing anything back. Good luck and have fun

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Yea what John said.
    If he wll do it 5 times stop at 3. If will only do it 3 times stop at 1. Always do less than you know he will do, thus quitting with him wanting more.
    good advice !!!
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA)
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised

www.sundownlabs.com

At that age just I try to make it fun fun fun.

My pup was the same way at that age. She just now has started showing real excitement and drive for retrieving at 4 months old. I've followed the same advice as listed above and I think it really paid off.

Thank you all for the advice. I am using the bill hillman puppy video and was just worried that he was not enjoying it. He chases like crazy but just dont always bring it back. I am just going to slow down and try to get him all pumped up and excited, see what happens in a few days. Maybe even start going once every other day. Thanks again.

I don't know the situation for you and pup. I had more success in the drive department with my last pup by putting him in a crate for a few hours before I took him out to play. I was more of a source of fun then.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Can someone tell my almost 11 year old ( April 4th) that it is time for her to bring it down a notch?
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI