RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How old is too old?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  jacduck 
#1 ·
Hi all. I'm new here to the forum and have a question. How old is to old to train a retriever? Long story short, I bought a pup and had began working with her. I then went through a divorce which put a halt to the training, hunting, etc. She is 7 now. have I missed the opportunity?

#2 ·
Never too old in my opinion. Depends on what you want to accomplish and what she has already been taught. You might be in a wee bit of trouble if you want to compete at a national level field trial, but if you are looking at a hunt test or hunting dog you should be just fine. I'm still training my older dog and he's just about 11 now. Training is still fun for both of us.

#7 ·
Have fun and at 7 you might think about a pup. Takes a couple of years to get a pup up to real speed for being in the blind. You are at the age that I start looking.

Think of all the fun you are going to have and more love than you ever thought possible now coming from 2 dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.