The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seizure ??? and your thoughts or experiences

Default Seizure ??? and your thoughts or experiences

My five month old pup was laying down sleeping last night I got up so he followed me. I stopped to talk to someone and and sat down and his head started shaking like a fly was buzzing around his head. I thought it was strang so called him to me, he walked to me like he was drunk staggering from side to side. He sat down on my lap and then seemed to be fine got up walked over to the couch and collasped (his feet fell out from under him). He tried to get up and I ran over to him and he just layed down, this all lasted about a minute. I've never seen anything like it before it was like his legges wouldn't work.

I called the emergency vet and they said he probably just had an ear infection to just wait and bring him to the vet office in the morning. This happened at elven last night. I took him to the vet this morning and she said his ears had a little wax but seems to be fine that it seems like he had a seizure. She said most of the time though they lose control and will go to the bathroom on themselves, vomit, or are very stiff. My vet I normally see is out of the office this week. They did blood work and said everything was normal, but that if it was epilesy that it probably wouldn't have another one until he was two or three and then they would no for sure.

Has anyone experienced that, what happened in your case, it scared me and I'm not sure the vet I saw was so sure if it was really a seizure or if it was something else going on.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

My dog had his first seizure about 2 years ago. He took off like a bullet in our kitchen and ran in circles until he fell down seizing. I took him to the vet and everything seemed normal. A day or so after that he started to shake his head uncontrolably. We took him to the vet again and they dignosed him with eplipsy. He was put on pheno-barb and later potasium bromide also. I was told not to use an e-collar on him. (Anyone else given this advice?) Other than that he has been able to do everything I have wanted him to do. He has had one seizure since the first one, because we went to low while adjusting his medicine.

I've experienced 3 Grand Mall seizures with Calli, a female golden, between the age of 3 & 4. All of a sudden, no warning - shaking, convulsing, quivering, wild eyes, mouth foaming. Scared the daylights out of me - felt so very helpless!

I struggled with spaying her, but finally did at age 5, never did breed her. She led an active life and was a great dog - SHR, CD, JH, ready for Seasoned/Senior work, but died the end of April 2007. She had several different health problems unrelated to the seizures later in life - most likely from tick borne diseases. At the end of her life she suffered from kidney, liver, torn cruciate ligament. Hemanigosarcoma was the final blow. All these except the kidney disease surfaced in the last 7 months of her life. She died at 9 years, 2 months. Still miss her.

Seizures are a very hard thing to see, you never forget! Be careful you don't get bitten trying to comfort your pup if it happens again. My experience says they don't happen with any regularity. In my case we elected not to medicate, but seizures can definitely be controlled with meds.

Wishing you and your pup no more siezures and good health from here on!

My old golden retriever had her first seizure around 2 1/2 years of age. Her's were mild in comparison to others that I have read about. Vet put her on phenobarbital when the seizures started occurring on a monthly basis. She never required a stronger dose and lived a normal life.

Thanks for your replies when your dogs were seizing did they stiffen up or go limp. She said he probably wouldn't have another one until he was two or three if it was epilepsy. She just seemed unsure and said it could have been that he got into something or was allergic to a bush or tree in my yard and to research what plants and trees i had in my yard and see if any of them where poisonious. I looked all over my yard and didn't see anything that he would have gotten into, but will have to see what plants I have and research those.

I think there is something more to this as he only ate 1/2 cup of food in the morning and evening and is drinking less. Since all his blood work came back good not sure where to go from here but to watch him closely for a while. He isn't running a temp either. I'll probably take off Monday and take him back in if he doesn't start eatting or drinking tomorrow.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

I'be had one with seizures and she always went stiff, but I am sure it varies. I would lean more towards low glucose, especially since not much food.
    Mary

Calli stiffened as she convulsed. Her muscles relaxed towards the end of the seizure. As I remember all three events seemed to go on forever but in reality probably lasted 5 minutes or less each. She was exhausted physically for the rest of that day and off on her feeding. She then seemed to recover completely in 36 hours or less. My breeder thought the same about dog getting into something, chemicals, cleaners, plants, etc., but I found no evidence of that. In my case I purchased the dog to breed and start a kennel, the seizures were very upsetting, so I think I understand some of your feelings.

I feel certain your pup will recover to his former self and not show any ill effects. The seizures are scary and frightening but sometimes they are part of your dog world. Give lots of hugs, kisses and loving and he will return the same. Sending good thoughts and best wishes. Happy Easter.

Has your dog been recently vaccinated or have you applied any monthly flea/tick topical or given any of the combination oral productions for flea/tick/heartworm prevention in the last 48-72 hours before the dog had this seizure incident?
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Just lost ours 2 weeks ago. 2 Months short of 5 years old. This was the first time he had a seizure, I rushed him to the vet when he had another in the parking lot. I carried him to the door and the vet assistants and vet came out and helped me carry him in. After he came out of that one he started walking into the walls and door and had another. He never came out of that one. Yes he went stiff on all 3, foamed at the mouth and urinated the first seizure. Never want to experience that again.

No, nothing has changed since the time I've gotten him. I read a lot on the internet last night and am going to try changing foods, he has been teething and eatting less so my husband said maybe it was a lack of nutrients so we are going to change dog food and see if that helps. I'm so nervous about going back to work tomorrow and leaving him. I can't wait until my regular vet is in the office as he explains things really well and we can run through everything and he explain things really well. I read that it could be Vestibular Disease so I would like to run that by him as well. He is really irritated by his ears but she said his ears looked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    Has your dog been recently vaccinated or have you applied any monthly flea/tick topical or given any of the combination oral productions for flea/tick/heartworm prevention in the last 48-72 hours before the dog had this seizure incident?