The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Seizure ??? and your thoughts or experiences

my guy is 3 yrs 2 months old, blood work done by two vets nothing adnormal. new vet said it was epiliepsey and has worked with many dogs who have seizures. I am going to talk to him tomorrow about the ice, I actually googled how to cool a dog with seizure today and read many stories about using ice. I also realize my guy could be having them when we are at work but not during the night, he sleeps on the floor 2ft away from me on his bed so I hear his dreams when we wakes me up. Today he seems better but still not 100%. I am tracking them on a calendar

thanks for all the info

Actually, it probably is idiopathic epilepsy. As Earl indicated and others, you can get brain damage with every seizure. The more brain-damaged they get the more likely they are
    to go onto status epilepticus. Sometimes these seizures cannot be stopped or treated. I would seriously consider putting your boy on phenobarbital or other seizure medications. I have also known homeopathic vets to have treated seizures successfully. Also acupuncture. But each seizure does seem to take something out of them. don't want to go to long before making a decision.

Good luck to you and your dog and I am sorry you're going through this.
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 08-28-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by dozer View Post
    the seizure looks the same expect the second one he started to thrash around inside our closet.
    This does not sound like EIC. An EIC collapse does not resemble a seizure unless it's a particularly mild one. And hallmarks of an EIC attack are that a) there is some stimuli that acts as a trigger, and b) after about 20 minutes the dog is up and about like nothing happened.

I have never heard of a dog having an EIC collapse while laying on the couch.

A simple swab test will answer the EIC question. If your vet is unfamiliar, you can go on the UMinnesota website that was cited earlier and download the forms and instructions for your vet.

I have no direct experience with seizures, fortunately. I have one dog that has serious heart disease now (dilated cardiomyopathy) and has had a couple of syncope episodes that look like a mild seizure but are not.

I'm sure it's hard to watch, but perhaps it would be helpful to video the seizure the next time it happens. That might be very useful for your vet or whatever referral vet you might go to.

Good luck.

thanks everyone, talking to the vet this am

Just had a double seizure, I used the ice and it seemed to end it and then it came back and was pretty violent. Last one was Aug 26, 2013. Calling the vet in the am. He seems normal and everything ok.

Sorry this seems to have come back after control for so long. If you are using KBr, have you switched foods recently? Also, might be good to have some liquid valium on hand to give rectally.
    Mary

Not on meds, no change in food. The only thing that changed was I did not exercise him yesterday after work. I am mystified by this condition, hard to believe this is happening. I had no idea this would happen to a dog. I have had dogs all my life 46 yrs.

Not on meds, no change in food. The only thing that changed was I did not exercise him yesterday after work. I am mystified by this condition, hard to believe this is happening. I had no idea this would happen to a dog. I have had dogs all my life 46 yrs.
    It would not be the lack of exercise. If you're starting to seeing increasing violence and multiple seizures in a row, it is time to start to consider about putting him on medication. If you're not wanting to do straight medication, then see a homeopathic vet as soon as possible. You may also want to try acupuncture. With every multiple seizure or clusters of seizures with increasing violence, you run the risk of them not coming out of it and going into status epilepticus. This means that you will not be able to bring them out of a seizure, even with emergency vet care. You would end up having to put them to sleep.. As mentioned before, with each seizure, especially violent ones you can have brain damage.

like Mary suggested, liquid Valium to give rectally can bring them out of a seizure very quickly. You may want to ask your vet about it. It is very quick absorption, and therefore works quickly. I keep liquid Valium in my emergency dog box. You never know when you may need it.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Came across a site (as mentioned on a Facebook post) that suggested an icepack on the dogs back ... not the neck or heard ... large enough pack to start just about forward of the mid-back and extend toward the rear of the dog's body. Supposedly makes seizure noticeably shorter & recovery improved as well.

No drugs involved, and you could keep one of these icepacks in the freezer for the unexpected event if you have a dog known to seize and choose to opt out of meds.

I have been told that frequent seizures, over time, could actually have some effect on brain function. My first Golden, from a puppy farm (yikes!), had grand mal seizures most of his life, about once a month until he got to be about 12 or so, when they just stopped? I did not notice any signs of impaired brain function in him.

Seizing that starts later in life, I have known of 4: three turned out to be brain tumors, but the 4th had a large tumor (probably lympho) in the abodomen that was likely interfering with blood flow to the brain to cause the seizures.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Just had a double seizure, I used the ice and it seemed to end it and then it came back and was pretty violent. Last one was Aug 26, 2013. Calling the vet in the am. He seems normal and everything ok.
    Autoimmune thyroiditis may also cause seizures. If your vet has not recommended a full T3-T4 thyroid test, please discuss with him. Dr. Jean Dodds article
    http://dogs4dogs.com/JR_Articles/dog...hyroiditis.htm
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)