The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seizure ??? and your thoughts or experiences

I had a Lab female who, out of the blue, started having seizures at about 3 years old.

Someone on the RTF site also had the same problem & was considering Phen.Barb.

They were advised to change their dogs food. I did immediately & saw changes right away.

I bought the healthiest food I could find. They went away completely over time.

The food I was using is one of the most popular brands around.

Mike

Hunter started having seizures at 9 years of age. He went on pheno barb and I switched his food. It is a rough thing to go through and once certain conditions are ruled out there is not much vets can do. Pheno is rough on the liver but hunter was older so I felt control of the seizures was more important(he was having grand mals) then liver side effects due to his age.

I have a friend whose golden mix started having them at 5 years and they switched foods as well and they almost stopped completely. The dog is now 13 and has not taken meds and had maybe 1-2 seizures a year vs 3-4 a month he was having before they switched foods.

Thanks for the advice I had family over then got sick so haven't had a chance to update. I called the vet yesturday and asked for a copy of the bloodwork so I can see what exactly they tested him for since everything came back good. It's like there is something wrong with this bag of food, because this is what I've been feeding him since I've had him and never had problems. I went ahead and got a different brand of food though and he's eatting everything set in front of him.

He was coheirent right after the episode and was running around like nothing happened. I did a lot of research Saturday after the vet visit and most seizures sound like the dog goes stiff and vomits, foams at the mouth, or goes to the bathroom on them selves. He didn't have any of these symptoms he went limp and his eyes darted back and forth. I was trying to look at his eyes after the episode but since it was dark I couldn't tell if they were dialated or not. It seems to me like his symptoms sounded more like vestubular disease, but that usually occurs in older dogs so who knows. I know the dogs where playing rough that afternoon but this happened hours after they where playing. One of them slammed into the door but I never saw which one.

I got a kennel for him when he was a puppy but when Raven started limping I started using it for her. I told my hubby we needed another kennel and he agreed. They play too rough at times and I don't want them hurting each other.

I know it will go away with time but I'm terrified of leaving him, everytime he gets up I jump up to watch him as he was sleeping and got up when the episode happened. I'm also scared to do any training with him as everything I've read said don't use slip or prong collars, don't use shock collars, etc. He's teething right now so were only working on ob anyways but I'm scared to let him run and over exert himself.

I've been putting ear cleanser in his ear and now he'll let me touch them again, so wonder if even though there isn't an ear infection there was something else going on with his ears. I can't wait for my vet to get back so that I can bring him back in and have him look him over and see what his thoughts are as he explains things really well and don't think I'll feel any comfort until I can talk to him.

This is my first experience so I'm sure I'm way over reacting. Sorry about the long reply just trying to answer everyone in one shot.
    Last edited by vstoddard; 04-02-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A Edison

what food did you switch to help with seizure

It sounds like it could be mold toxicity. Hopefully getting rid of the bag of food will solve the problem.

Meredith

Besides the time frame being so early, it sounds exactly what I've dealt with for my Lab. At around 2 years of age my lab started having seizures, they were mild and because of that I wasn't sure that it was actually a seizure. The frequency randomly increased and so I videoed the episode as well as made a trip to our vet.

He was diagnosed with epilepsy and the seizures he was having we referred to as petit mal seizures, which didn't show the symptoms of vomiting or foaming or "swimming motions. My dog's seizures consist more of slight staggering and the more extreme fits his legs and neck will stiffen. All while coherent. Almost immediately following the conclusion of the seizure, my dog is back to normal.

We were prescribed potassium bromide. It has significantly reduced the amount of seizures but has not completely eliminated them.

Hope the info helps.

P.S. My lab still trains and hunts without being affected by the epilepsy.
    BOOMER SOONER!

These are all things that must be ruled out. Essentially that's what a seizure diagnosis is....the diagnosis that's left when everything else has been ruled out. In a dog this young, I'd even include a portosystemic shunt in the possibilities. A very small shunt could produce an occasional slow increase in blood toxicity that could lead to seizure. The test is a blood test for the ammonia level in the blood.

Since the thread was started sometime ago, I'll hope that all is well.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    One of my dogs, a female english bulldog, has had epileptic seizures since she was just under 1 year old. She is now 4 1/2 years. I have become numb to them anymore. What you described does not sound like a seizure to me, at least from my experience with them. But I am no vet, so please listen to yours. From my experience: My dogs seizures are proceeded by extreme disorientation, doesn't know its name, walks in to walls like a wind up toy and walks right back in to them. She is on pheno, potassium bromide, and zemostiside (spelling?) every 12 hrs. She has a seizure at least monthly and it takes a day or two for her to recover afterward. I keep some lemon juice around to wash the flem from her mouth when she relaxes from the seizure enough to pry open her mouth. I also wedge a wooden spoon in her mouth before she locks up to keep her from chewing her tongue off. She almost did that once and I nearly put her down becuase of it, poor thing couldn't drink or eat for a week. Like I said I have become numb anymore to them, but they can be frightning to someone who has not experienced seeing one. I also keep a syringe of demoral as a last resort to break the cluster of seizures. Usually a extra pheno dose beyond what she normally gets twice a day stops the clusters, but not always.

I would be looking at other things besides epilepsy from the symptoms you described. Such as what is your dogs sire and the dams CNM status?

I agree. Anything is possible but this doesn't sound like any seizure that I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rtyler4616 View Post
    Besides the time frame being so early, it sounds exactly what I've dealt with for my Lab. At around 2 years of age my lab started having seizures, they were mild and because of that I wasn't sure that it was actually a seizure. The frequency randomly increased and so I videoed the episode as well as made a trip to our vet.

He was diagnosed with epilepsy and the seizures he was having we referred to as petit mal seizures, which didn't show the symptoms of vomiting or foaming or "swimming motions. My dog's seizures consist more of slight staggering and the more extreme fits his legs and neck will stiffen. All while coherent. Almost immediately following the conclusion of the seizure, my dog is back to normal.

This. The first one you see may not be a grand mal.

There is no set pattern of what to expect in the progression of epilepsy but frequency and severity usually increases, sometimes slowly, sometimes rapidly. Five months is younger than most I have heard ... 2 - 3 years is more common for the onset. But bear in mind, your dog could have been having seizures previously that you did not know about if you were not present. They often ... but not always ... occur during "quiet time" or when the dog has been at rest. You may be at work and by the time you get home everything is normal.

Also, be careful of trying to determine a cause such as a dog food, exercise, etc. You may change dog food and not see a seizure for a year. Don't assume the food was the cause ... this may just have been the rate of progression for your dog and the food had nothing to do with it.

A lot of mystery around seizures in general and epilepsy in particular. Less is known about the brain than any other organ in the body and controlled studies are difficult to conduct.

There is not much point in worrying about leaving the dog alone. There is not much you can do anyway except try to protect them from collateral injury.

I'm not a vet ... this is just what I have learned.

JS
    Last edited by JS; 07-20-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

I had a lab with epilepsy. Seizures started when she was 3. We put her on pheno barb, and she lived a very good life to age 10 when we could no longer control her seizures. She was spayed after we were sure it was epilepsy, and I ran her in AKC Hunting Tests and trained her without issues and she was an excellent hunting dog. Her seizures were mild once she was on pheno barb. She would come to me, lean on my leg, lick her lips, and then go back to whatever she was doing. Hopefully, your dog's was a one-time only situation. Good luck!
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.