The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heartworm Prevention

I have used the collars for years and have never had a single issue butbwhen dogs play together there is the possibility of the collar falling off and being injested which can cause amitraz toxicity

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    I have been using Interceptor for heartworm prevention. Just read that they have temporarily discontinued distribution??? What heart worm prevention meds do you use?
    We have been informed that we will begin receiving Sentinel in 2-3 weeks, 6 packs only initially. Novartis has discontinued Interceptor but Sentinel will be priced at at or near the same cost as Interceptor.

Those that use ivermec. Are you using pour on or injections and is it the 1%boat or smaller dose? Thanks
    Home of:
    870 Express (Remington)
    APR HR Little Red Feather Duster of HRK (Winnie)
    HRK'S Out For A Sunday Stroll (Tripp)

I use the 1% injectable solution & give it monthly at a dose of 0.1 ml/10 lbs wt. I just put it on some bread & they eat it. This material & dose is a topic of wide disagreement, but it's kept my lab & two other labs heartworm free for 11 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by remmi870 View Post
    Those that use ivermec. Are you using pour on or injections and is it the 1%boat or smaller dose? Thanks
    I used the 1% liquid for years. Then my vet recommended the paste. I find it much easier. Durvet Apple is metered better. there are 25 doses in one tube.

We've not been able to get Interceptor for over a year now. Switched to HeartGard Plus but had a weird experience. Our pup pooped it out the next day looking exactly like it did when it went in! I called the vet because obviously she received no dose of medication from that and I was lucky enough to see it. Now, with all 3 dogs, I chop it up and give it to them in small pieces.

Is there going to be any product that is just the milbemycin like Interceptor without any flea or tick product mixed with it? I don't really need the extra products where I live and prefer to not dose the dogs with something they don't need. I liked using the Interceptor since I also have Border Collies.

Using 0.1 cc/10lbs of injectable Ivomec orally is a huge overdose. The dose for heartworm is 6 mcg (micrograms)/kg
    Ivomec is a 1% solution which means 10 mg/ml or 10,000 mcg/ml, or 1000 mcg / 0.1 cc of undiluted solution. That is enough ivermectin to treat a 366 lb dog. So instead of giving you 70# dog 7000 mcg, when it needs 190 mcg. Why not just give 0.1cc total dose?? That's just a 5x overdose.
    Now the stuff is very safe for MOST breeds, but why give a 36 times excessive dose?
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

used Interceptor til they ceased.....now on Trifexis....and in tick season i also use the liquid you put on back of neck......cannot remember name?????
    Last edited by Choc24/7; 04-04-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Using 0.1 cc/10lbs of injectable Ivomec orally is a huge overdose. The dose for heartworm is 6 mcg (micrograms)/kg
    Ivomec is a 1% solution which means 10 mg/ml or 10,000 mcg/ml, or 1000 mcg / 0.1 cc of undiluted solution. That is enough ivermectin to treat a 366 lb dog. So instead of giving you 70# dog 7000 mcg, when it needs 190 mcg. Why not just give 0.1cc total dose?? That's just a 5x overdose.
    Now the stuff is very safe for MOST breeds, but why give a 36 times excessive dose?
    I was a little surprised that this post didnt elicit a bit more discussion. I was under the impression too that the dosage was .1cc per 10 lbs, or at least that is what one consitently reads here on RTF. But when the Veterinary says it is a 36 times over dose, my ears perk up.
    Any more input from those who are qualified.

Mark