The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 week old lab still peeing in the house.

Default 14 week old lab still peeing in the house.

I let my dog out every morning when she wakes up and before bed and she pees and poops. When we get back in the house she pees like every 10 minutes. I let her out about every hour. When I see her starting to do her business I rush over and say no and take her outside. What am I doing wrong? My other dog never pees as much as this one

Urinary tract infection?

Some take longer then others. More time in the crate will help.
    Bert Rodgers

Some are just that way, though it would be smart to check for UTI. My 2 year old will be stuck with the nickname "PB" (piss bucket) for the rest of his life. My husband christened him with that one when he was about 5 months old. Finally at 2 he no longer deserves the name, but PB he will remain!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Classic signs of UTI, get her checked out, way too common in female pups to just assume it is the way she is or a training issue.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

+1 on UTI. Got Harvey the Wonderdog from rescue because he wouldn't stop peeing for in his first home. Took cefelexin to kill it. He's almost 11 now and no problems since.

Might be a UTI but in my experience bitch pups take a little longer to house train than male pups.

At 14 weeks she should be getting it, but stay ALERT.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Might be a UTI but in my experience bitch pups take a little longer to house train than male pups.

At 14 weeks she should be getting it, but stay ALERT.
    My latest pup took forever to completely house break, when he needed to go he would piddle on the way out or at the back door - partly due to the fact it was winter it made it harder to house break (cold outside, warm inside)....it just took a lot of mad rush to get the back door open faster and patience. He was 100% reliable at about 7 months...with the warmer weather we leave our back door open, he can come and go as he pleases....
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I've only had a couple males the last few years, but have had far harder time with them peeing/housetraining than any of my females, and it's been easier to spot a UTI when it happens, for me anyway, because my girls have all been so good and easy to train.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

We've housebroken more than our share of pups over the years. Some housebreak quickly, some don't.

Definitely rule out an infection with a consult with the vet. Be patient. Over time, with consistency and patience, it will come.

Chris

P.S. I think it is TOTALLY normal for a pup of this age to not yet be housebroken. Progess? Yes. But housebroken? Rarely at this age, in my opinion. Don't set your sights on breaking any time records for any phase of training. In most cases, folks who shoot for record speed on any phase of training usually find some holes elsewhere.

It takes as long as it takes.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"