The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iliopsoas strain

Default Iliopsoas strain

I have a 1 year old with a diagnosed Iliopsoas strain (pulled groin muscle). He has been on crate rest, walking on leash and cold laser therapy 2-3 times a week for the last 3 weeks. The last week and a half started water treadmill twice a week, exercises and walking for 15 minutes each day.

Hopefully a full recovery in the next 4-5 weeks. Has anyone had experience with this injury lately, was recovery successful, any relapses, warm ups and things you do before working the dog to prevent reoccurrence?

Appreciate any info or experiences. Thanks.

Ken Erikson

Sophie had that as part of recovering from TPLO surgery (surgery caused her to compensate). We did warm gel packs three times a day, massage & stretching. Sherman suggested warming her up before hard exercise by doing recalls. Sorry to hear about your pup!
    Josie Ottman

"Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch," E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

www.RetrieverResults.com -- points, profiles and perspective.
    New reports on Qualifiers and Entrants for National Open, National Amateur, Master National and Canadian National and Canadian National Amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by rufsea View Post
    I have a 1 year old with a diagnosed Iliopsoas strain (pulled groin muscle). He has been on crate rest, walking on leash and cold laser therapy 2-3 times a week for the last 3 weeks. The last week and a half started water treadmill twice a week, exercises and walking for 15 minutes each day.

Hopefully a full recovery in the next 4-5 weeks. Has anyone had experience with this injury lately, was recovery successful, any relapses, warm ups and things you do before working the dog to prevent reoccurrence?

Appreciate any info or experiences. Thanks.

Ken Erikson
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things. You've probably searched online for info, but in case you missed it, here are a couple of good links

link 1

link 2

Sinner suffered an iliopsoas strain 3 months before the 09 National. She was totally out of action for 12 weeks but recovered and was able to survive 9 series at the National. It is possible that her iliopsoas issues may have been related to other pre existing orthopedic issues.

My understanding is that if not allowed to completely heal before resuming activity, an iliopsoas injury can become chronic, so it is important to allow plenty of time for recovery.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Jeff
    Jeff Telander
    Durham, NC

FC AFC CT Broad Reach Devil Made Me Doit CD "Sinner"
    Broad Reach Smarty Pants

Forever in my heart
    OTCh Broad Reach Diesel TD MH UDX2***
    CH Broad Reach Gripper UD MH
    OTCh R Labs Darth Wader TD JH
    OTCh Teracroft Topaz TD JH

A training partner's dog had this last August. For much of the winter he's done the same rehab that you described. The dog seems to be out of it now. Still, he's taking it easier than he has in past years. Still does a hard day of training now and then but more light days in between.

From what I've seen the dog is fine. My fingers are crossed however.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I feel your pain. Tomorrow makes day 120 for Pip and she is not as far along. After 4 weeks the second diagnostic ultrasound showed that the orgin was healed, but not at the insertion. 4 weeks after that the diagnostic ultrasound said healed, but 2 people involved with her rehab could feel 1 slightly reactive spot. Two weeks ago that was fine, but then I missed 3-4 days of walks because I had a kidney stone, so I had to drop back on minutes and the reactive spot was back this past Friday. Hopefully, I can get it gone this week and then we start underwater treadmill.

You might want to ask your rehab person about cone cavaletti's? Pip is currently doing 1 rep each direction at 2 inches every other day.

Best of luck,
    Mary

Thanks everyone for your responses. It is very difficult to be patient and not rush things, but I am trying to do so. It happened at a time when TT was complete and pattern blinds were going well and real training was right around the corner. My next concern is I am sure I will be a little gun shy about running him hard and will try to ensure he is properly warmed up before each training session.

I have a big concern that I have never warmed my dogs up properly in the past and what is enough, as I proceed with my two new young dogs. In my opinion, no one I train with really warms their dogs up much more than letting them air out and then head to the holding blind. Dennis Voight has had some great articles regarding this issue but I do not have any first hand knowledge of what is really needed to warm up my dogs prior to training. I am going to try and walk them for 5-10 minutes before running and do some exercises in the holding blind but am looking for more info.

Do any of you have specific warm up routines before each training session? Is it as critical as I am thinking or do you believe I am over thinking it? I am very pleased with my dog's physical therapist as she has Labs and has run trials and hunt tests but now focuses on obedience and agility. The key is that she is very familiar with what my dogs do and has good info and directions but I am also looking for anyone with their own experiences.

Ken Erikson

Ken,
    Talk to your wife...it would be the same thing as warming up the horses. I have some things I can show you from attending John Shermans seminar and from using him with Beamer and Tess I also have the plans for making the cavaletti.

Joyce

Ken, There was a thread about this about a year ago. Everyone thought he was kidding around but then he posted a video of the warm up exercises he does. I will try and see if I can find it. I hope Ocean gets better.

My daughter let Shadow and Rowdy out together and I guess they were playing hard. I went into the back yard and Rowdy was holding up his left front leg. He shook it off and was fine but I scared me for a few moments.

Edit: I couldn't find the one I was thinking about but did come across this one: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...warm+exercises

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THE POSTED VIDEO OF A OWNER/TRAINER GOING THROUGH HIS EXERCISE PROGRAM OF STRETCHES FOR HIS LAB?
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 04-02-2013 at 07:32 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

My dog suffered a freak accident that dislocated his hip and also caused an Iliopsoas strain. One of the biggest problems during rehab was getting the dog to use that leg and not favor it. By favoring it, he was causing his whole structure to get out of whack and putting more pressure on his front assembly.

Found a rehab vet who taught me exercises to do that forced weight on that leg. Also used one of those peanut balls where he would stand on his hindlegs and move it around. Lots of other exercises with the ball. Did underwater treadmill, laser, chiropractor and the exercises.

It was almost 10 months before I eased him back to training. It's now been 2.5 years and I would say he is stronger than ever, but that leg does tire more quickly (also the hip dislocation left a bone spur so he is on an anti-inflammatory for that)

He still goes to a chiropractor about every 6 weeks.

For warm up, a brisk walk is great. I also do sit/down exercises, walk backwards and reach up on his hind legs. Things that force him to put weight on that leg. For cool down, I just try to walk him before he is put back in the crate.

He ran agility at the Master level last weekend and won his class with a blue ribbon.

Joyce,

My wife and I have had several discussions on this subject. She spends 15-20 minutes on warm up every day she rides which is 6 days a week.

I will take you up on your offer next time we train together. Just trying to figure out a good warm up and not leave training partners waiting in the field when it is my turn to run.

Are you guys running SJ and SR. If so, good luck and bring home some ribbons!!