The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iliopsoas strain

Wayne,
    That was a good thread to read, Thanks!

Kathy,
    I also have the peanut ball, dish, etc., and am doing exercises in addition to the treatment. I have also started my puppy on the different balls and hope to continue this type of conditioning with both dogs.

Thanks again everyone for your comments-very helpful!

Ken

Since you wife is into horses, ask her what she thinks about Back on Track products. They do make dog coats
    mary

Quote Originally Posted by rufsea View Post
    I have a 1 year old with a diagnosed Iliopsoas strain (pulled groin muscle). He has been on crate rest, walking on leash and cold laser therapy 2-3 times a week for the last 3 weeks. The last week and a half started water treadmill twice a week, exercises and walking for 15 minutes each day.

Hopefully a full recovery in the next 4-5 weeks. Has anyone had experience with this injury lately, was recovery successful, any relapses, warm ups and things you do before working the dog to prevent reoccurrence?

Appreciate any info or experiences. Thanks.

Ken Erikson
    Don't know about dogs but I had this problem. It isn't a simple groin pull. The muscle attaches to your lower spine, extends down through the floor of your pelvis, and attaches to your thigh bone. I had therapy & exercise etc. It took me a couple years to be clear of it. I hope it isn't as tough to get over for a dog. I just kept aggravating my injury. I literally feel the dog's pain...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Ken, I found the video of Jeff T stretching out his dog Sinner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBbEONDMMH8

I didn't tell you what I do. Rowdy rides with me in the seat of my mule when I set up. When I stop to put our a winger he gets out of the mule and wanders around, cleans out, etc. He doesn't jump from the seat to the ground but steps down from the seat to the floor board and then steps down to the ground. He gets in the same way, up to floor board then onto seat. This seems to be enough to get him loosened up.

Edit: When you watch the utube video, look to the right of the video and there are related videos. Two of them relate to the Illiop. strain
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 04-02-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired