The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 49 Days????

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    You do have his book, don't you?
    and the gas grill on the back porch would still be tippy if I didn't have my copy!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

So if I am understanding the science it is based on zero interaction with humans until 7 weeks and they need to have this interaction starting at 7 weeks. So if a litter is cared for better than most newborn children and held daily,etc. earlier than 49 days is ok?

I appreciate everyone's opinions and information.

I would say that if they are cared for well, what's the rush. A little later is better. There would not be any real benefit to getting the puppy earlier....
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Here is a great article on the subject:

Why Not Seven Weeks–-The Forty-Ninth Day Revisited
    By Ed Bailey

http://www.gundogmag.com/2010/09/23/...d7weeks090208/
    David Lloyd
    Greenwing Kennel
    GMPR HR Greenwing's Rebecca Pearl Harbor of Sauk River
    CPR Alma Bottom Isaac Ben Doc
    CPR Greenwing's Abraham of Sauk River
    and the little girl...
    Greenwing's Annie Oaklay

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie & Ruby View Post
    So if I am understanding the science it is based on zero interaction with humans until 7 weeks and they need to have this interaction starting at 7 weeks. So if a litter is cared for better than most newborn children and held daily,etc. earlier than 49 days is ok?
    Nope. What we're saying is that a puppy needs to have positive human interaction during the 7-12 week period. The period prior to the 7th week doesn't mean much of anything. The puppy goes through various stages that are very inward directed. During roughly the 5th and 6th week he starts to become aware of the "outside world" but still depends on mom and littermates for social interaction. Overtime, he starts to interact with the breeder but a lot of the early days is just basically babysitting.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Common sense interpretation of the "49-day rule"! The original work was used first, I think, in "The New Knowledge of Dog Behavior" by Clarence Pfaffenberger, published around 1960, I think. The research was of great interest to the Guide Dog Assn in San Rafael, CA, as they were trying to have a higher success rate with their guide dog training prospects.

Erin has been the first to mention (on RTF discussions) the researchers controlled environment which was actually to deprive the pups of human contact prior to day 49. It is unlikely that even most BYB puppies are ever raised with such lack of human contact.

Taking the pup on day 47 is not going to be the end of the world ... if you have raised a young puppy before. An 8-wk old pup will be easier to house-train than one at 7 wks ... simply due to anatomical development. Pfaffenberger did emphasize the pups being separated from its littermates on day 49, so that the dominant ones did not get to bully the more submissive ones, to the detriment of both types of puppies. Day 49 to 56 is a "fear period", so it can actually have some benefit to keeping the environment stable during that time.

Since our dog mothers don't read anyone's "schedule" when going in season (which determines when the pups will actually be born), it is not unusual to have to adjust the placement date for buyers to accommodate the best situation for each individual puppy. I generally refuse to send puppies home just before Christmas, yet there was one situation where that was a good time for the puppy (the family had out-of-town relatives in the week before Xmas, and had their "celebration" a week early!)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.