The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What brand Joint Care Suppliment you use ?

My vet recommended Dasuquin so I started that about a month ago. I asked her about the human version but she believes the ones made for dogs worked better. But she is probably hoping I buy it from her which is a no can do. Half price through Amazon.com. Still not as cheap as the human version..

I'm buying dasuquin with msm from Santa Cruz Biotechnogy. 150 ct, large dog bottle is $56 with free shipping i think. compared to my vet selling 84 count bottle for $80+. lol. seeing good results with it. my 10 1/2 year old lab was pretty active today and ran good on marks. this has been the cheapest place i can find it. if you all find it some place cheaper or need more info about this place, just pm me.
    Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Thompson1 View Post
    Glycoflex 600 recomended by my vet 14 yrs ago and the dog is still doing well.
    Same here!
    Josie Ottman

"Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch," E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

www.RetrieverResults.com -- points, profiles and perspective.
    New reports on Qualifiers and Entrants for National Open, National Amateur, Master National and Canadian National and Canadian National Amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    I talked to Nutra. They stated that Cosequin remains their flagship product. you can buy it online from Costco at a very reasonable price. I won't pay the extra $$ for Dasuquin. It's the same base product with a little avocado b.s. thrown in that some food chemists came up with and Nutra bought the patent for.

All of these things fall into the neutraceutical category. which means not regulated. Buy from a manufacturer that you know, and you should be OK. Most of my dogs get the Schiff brand from Costco. $15.00 for a big bottle. Love it. Has MSM in it, and everything. The dogs even share it with me, since it's human grade.
    Used to do that too. Problem is, the human side is not regulated either. Though human grade, what's the absorption rate and amount of active ingredient really absorbed? Doubt generics have it (I work in Pharma, and though that may make me untrustworthy, you DO get what you pay for), Osteo bi Flex, the brand name, has the data. Nutramax has the data. I'd rather give the product that has the highest rate of active ingredient available for you. For me and the dog. YMMV. Luckily I can afford it, though I do price shop. My vet will price match. I'd rather he make the profit then someone else.

When I get time this week, I'll dig around and find the Nutramax info.

I just mentioned this as the above comments from both of us are something else to consider.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Myristin
    Very happy with the noticeable results after two ACL repairs
    Goldens Rule !!!

Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    Quite a few years ago my vet also told me to use the Costco (Kirkland) brand. I use the Glucosamine 1500mg/MSM 1500mg. My dogs weigh about 55 lbs and I give 1 tablet once a day with dinner. Both girls have done well on it. People are usually pretty surprised that my 9 3/4 year old acts like a young dog.
    This is exactly what I use. I have noted a big difference in the seniors when on it. My old girl (13) gets two- the others who get it, only get one. I notice a difference in her if I run out for a few days, also.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Dasuquin MSM. Actually has research behind it. Made b the makers of Cosequin.
    Went to a talk the other day on Dasuqin is the newer stuff, has an extra ingredient, plus as everyone is hesitant to switch after great results on cosaquin, they've recently made dasuqin cheaper, than cosaquin, but I think it's some sort've promotional thing with coupons(Yuck).

I've tried several joint supplements for my knee most are junk, I use Triple-Flex from Costco (Gul-condrotin&MSM), works for my knee, so I put my 12yr. lab on it when she started to slow made her move significantly better until 16 when we lost her, very non-scientific study
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I too use NatureMade Triple Flex from Costco.

Per tablet comparison:

Cosequin DS PLUS MSM: Glucosamine 600 mg, Chondroitin 300 mg, MSM 250 mg Costs @ Costco ~ $0.22 Per tablet

NatureMade Triple Flex: Glucosamine 750 mg, Chondroitin 400 mg, MSM 375 mg Costs @ Costco ~ $0.15 per tablet

I had heard though that human Glucosamine etc has a coating on it that makes it less absorbant for dogs. Is that true? If not Costco here I come. We've been using stuff from Petsmart. Glucosamine, Pernia Mussel, MSM, and Chondroitin. I take the stuff from Schiff.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    I had heard though that human Glucosamine etc has a coating on it that makes it less absorbant for dogs. Is that true? If not Costco here I come. We've been using stuff from Petsmart. Glucosamine, Pernia Mussel, MSM, and Chondroitin. I take the stuff from Schiff.
    I don't think so. I buy the stuff from Sam's Club that I take and give to the dogs. I feed wet. If I let it soak for 5 minutes the pill is dissolved. I figure the acids in the dog's stomach would work faster than that.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013