The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a GoPro Camera...

Default Anyone use a GoPro Camera...

Anyone use a GoPro camera when they hunt or train with their dog? What type of mount do you use to affix the camera to your dog? Just got a GoPro and want to get the best mounting system to affix the camera to my dog. Looking at this, but I'm not sure if there's something better out there:

http://www.captureyourhunt.com/dog-mount/

Thanks.
    JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
    Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
    HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"

BootsOnGuideService.com...Putting fowl in your face with their "Boots On."

I have the same question. Thanks for bringing it up. Hopefully someone else on this forum has past experience.
    Three Rivers Ice Breaker JH - ICE
    2014 1st Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)
    2013 3rd Place - MJS Fastest Retriever Competition (40 dogs)

Tried one of those hunting season, never could get it to work even with some modifications.. Got one of the neoprene collar types and still don't have the results I set out to get. Did get a few brief clips of some interesting points of view.

www.lmccalls.com George Lynch has got what he calls the dog cam. Mounts on the dogs head so you see what he sees. Never seen it, but the footage is neat.
    Weasle

You definitely want to mount the camera on the head. A while back (month or two ago) someone here posted some great footage of a dog on an upland hunt in the snow. It appeared that they had made their own mount but it worked. Wish I could remember what the thread was.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I've used one extensively for two years with my retrievers. I have purchased a specially designed dog collar mount made for the Go Pro but it does not work as the weight of the camera tends to make the unit fall to the side. You can tighten the collar but it'll be too uncomfortable for the dog. My best results come from a combo of putting the chest harness that comes with the camera over a retriever wearing a neoprene vest. For added height or clearance tou simply add a second adjustable swivel mount.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Quote Originally Posted by tzappia View Post
    I've used one extensively for two years with my retrievers. I have purchased a specially designed dog collar mount made for the Go Pro but it does not work as the weight of the camera tends to make the unit fall to the side. You can tighten the collar but it'll be too uncomfortable for the dog. My best results come from a combo of putting the chest harness that comes with the camera over a retriever wearing a neoprene vest. For added height or clearance tou simply add a second adjustable swivel mount.
    Howdy Tony!

First, congrats on the cover shot. I have seen some footage shot from cameras above the dog's shoulders, and it's OK, but that video that was posted here a while back with the camera on the dog's head was really great. A much better perspective, you could even see the dog follow the bird as it flushed and then fell after being shot. On the head is the way to go if you can devise a mount. Wish someone would repost the link.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

This is one that I made myself from the packaging and a strap that I had laying around.
    I will say that the mount between the shoulders is not the way to go with a dog swimming, constant side to side rocking motion.

kona mount.jpg

Probably give the "Sugar Mount" a try next.
    http://thesugarcoat.com/UniversalCamCollar.aspx

As far as I know it's the only commercial option available right now. Shouldn't be that hard to Jerry rig one up with a harness or neoprene vest though.
    Last edited by B Giese; 04-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.

We use the chest harness that go pro sells, fit it to the dogs chest and use it. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltvIY_6YISk