RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Anyone use a GoPro Camera...

8K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  plhsurfer 
#1 ·
Anyone use a GoPro camera when they hunt or train with their dog? What type of mount do you use to affix the camera to your dog? Just got a GoPro and want to get the best mounting system to affix the camera to my dog. Looking at this, but I'm not sure if there's something better out there:

http://www.captureyourhunt.com/dog-mount/

Thanks.

#2 ·
I have the same question. Thanks for bringing it up. Hopefully someone else on this forum has past experience.

#5 ·
You definitely want to mount the camera on the head. A while back (month or two ago) someone here posted some great footage of a dog on an upland hunt in the snow. It appeared that they had made their own mount but it worked. Wish I could remember what the thread was.

#6 ·
I've used one extensively for two years with my retrievers. I have purchased a specially designed dog collar mount made for the Go Pro but it does not work as the weight of the camera tends to make the unit fall to the side. You can tighten the collar but it'll be too uncomfortable for the dog. My best results come from a combo of putting the chest harness that comes with the camera over a retriever wearing a neoprene vest. For added height or clearance tou simply add a second adjustable swivel mount.

#7 ·
Howdy Tony!

First, congrats on the cover shot. I have seen some footage shot from cameras above the dog's shoulders, and it's OK, but that video that was posted here a while back with the camera on the dog's head was really great. A much better perspective, you could even see the dog follow the bird as it flushed and then fell after being shot. On the head is the way to go if you can devise a mount. Wish someone would repost the link.

#11 ·
This is one that I made myself from the packaging and a strap that I had laying around.
I will say that the mount between the shoulders is not the way to go with a dog swimming, constant side to side rocking motion.

View attachment 12221

Probably give the "Sugar Mount" a try next.
http://thesugarcoat.com/UniversalCamCollar.aspx
I've got the "sugar mount" I am almost positive that he doesn't use that mount in his video. Or if he did, it's a different kind of camera. I've tightened mine extremely tight and it still slides around under the dog's chin. I did get some video by setting the camera to record upside down as they instruct. But it's hardly the dog's eye view that we are striving for. Chest harnes deal also slides under because of the camera weight. Did get a comical clip with it hanging off the side of my dog while he hunted a cripple in heavy cover. I've tried modifications to the harness and used with and without a neoprene vest and never got it to work. Pain in the butt to adjust too so your dog and you better be patient!

#13 ·
What does she go by on RTF? I tried doing a couple of searches and can't find that post. It was by far the best dog's eye view I have seen.

#17 ·
I used a gopro last weekend during a hrc hunt test. I used a chesty to record the water series from my perspective. It was good to watch my dog run so I could review what we need to work on in training sessions in the future.

when I save up some more money I would like to mount on to the dog and one to myself. According to gopro if you use the wifi remote you can operate multiple cameras at the same time. I think it could be a good training aid to help understand what the dog is seeing while training in addition to what im seeing at the same time.

Has anyone else used the two camera set up to review your training sessions? If so can you provide any tips?

Oh, my guy got his firstseasoned pass so it is cool to be able to pay back the

#20 ·
#21 ·
Think Blair Witch Project. Beginning of every movie requires a warnin you may get motion sickness from viewing. In a small clip as part of a better movie they are cool but overall the are horrible to watch. I saw a video of one put on time lapse and put on a crab pot. That was probably the only one I've ever watched for more than 30 seconds. Moving video with all the shaking and bouncing is tough to take for me. I won't watch it. My folks made a movie once while driving around Maui the same year they got the first compact Sony VHS. I rate every go pro in the same catagory.

#22 ·
The gopro mount on a quadcopter is gyroscope stabilized just like the helicopter video on the news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.