RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Anyone Heard of the New Seresto Flea/Tick Collar?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  SloppyMouth 
#1 ·
Anyone heard anything about the new Seresto flea/tick collar from Bayer?

Looks kind of interesting ... I'm wondering about waterproofness, as well as distribution of the chemicals -- looks like it might be similar to Frontline and other topical treatments (i.e., via skin, as well as hair) in that regard.

Here's the PR release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...r-cats-that-lasts-eight-months-187650591.html

And, more importantly, here's a study of its use (looks like a 90-plus percent efficacy): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3353155/

Just looking for anyone that's hear of it and/or used it ... and/or, what your thoughts/concerns on it would be...

Thanks!

#2 ·
if your dog doesn't wear much neck gear then it's not a bad option. It covers the spectrum and distributes well. Water will cut you down considerably in terms of how long it'll last. It's rated for 8 months, I think in water I wouldn't use it past 6 months. It's still pretty new and the studies can claim all they want but there's nothing like being out in the real world. I'll be curious to see what folks say about a year from this time.

#3 ·
Thanks JBWDVM13....that's what I was wondering; the coverage, water, etc. Have you used them much? Totally agree about what future opinions hold, as well as the concern of other collars (be it for retrieving or pointing breeds) and/or for retrievers hanging in debris in water. Looks interesting at any rate.

#4 ·
Copied from Seresto's website "Under normal conditions, effectiveness lasts for eight months. In order to maintain an 8-month duration, dogs must not be bathed more than once per month. For dogs that swim once a month or more, the control duration is reduced to five months"

#5 ·
There ya go, I was a month off. I wouldn't use it in a retriever of mine because I train with a shock collar and I feel this thing would get in the way. It's not a collar that's really intended to be taken on and off. I do like the fact that it offers coverage over ticks. My new favorite product for somebody in the suburbs was definitely trifexis because it hits heart worms, intestinal parasites and fleas all in one easy to chew tablet... down side is that it doesn't cover ticks. The stuff I use depends on the area I'm in. Seems like there are pockets where frontline plus is better, then you go somewhere where canine advantix is the answer, so on and so forth. I'll just keep going with my once a month topical and once a month heartgard, little more money but they've never done me wrong.

#6 ·
I wonder if it would be effective to use a tick collar, like Preventic, if you removed it when training? I do know that they worked better than anything I have used for keeping the ticks away from the dog I had years ago, but he did not train or work. I use Frontline now for fleas, but am hearing more and more about their lack of affect on ticks. So can you use those collars and just take them off prior to work?

#7 ·
The one the bayer rep gave me to try out on my dog was made to be put on and left on. I think you could take it on and off but every time you did the possibility of getting it to stay on the next time would decrease as that way it cinches down is kinda a one time deal. Once the collar expires you just cut it off with scissors.

#8 ·
Interesting about how the collar cinches on and off. Not sure if it would interfere with a e-collar or not, if you set the collar above the flea/tick collar; can see it being a pain in the butt though. With as much water work as retrievers do, I would worry about the coverage with repetitive, nearly daily, swimming. Hmmmm....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.