The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Sit

Default Remote Sit

Ok here is the scenario, the dog is 2.5yo with virtually no formal training. The dog has not been pressure conditioned, CC, or FF. Everything she does is pretty much raw natural talent. She would not stand a chance is a HT but for a dog with very little training she is impressive. She is obedient and has plenty of drive.
    The dogs owner is posing the question to me, how to make her remotely sit. He does not want to use a collar to teach this. As of right now if he says sit from a distance she runs to him and sits at heal.
    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to go about training this?
    Thanks for any help in advance,

Dustin

Have him look up "CLICKER TRAINING" on the internet, also AGILITY as most of those trainers don't use a e-collar. They do use food as their means on shaping a behavior.
    Just a suggestion...
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

I would start by teaching place with either a platform or a mat. The collar is not really useful until the dog has been taught the understands the commands. If the dog won't sit and stay the sit command isn't properly instilled.
    Mark Land

This is what I did with a 2 year old rescue dog:

Walking at heel on 6 foot lead, teach automatic sit when you stop
    Gradually work in a single whistle toot when you stop
    With dog in sit, walk to end of lead.... gradually lengthen time before calling dog to you
    Increase lead length to 15-20 feet, repeat previous step
    Sit dog, walk away, then around the dog and return to dog (re-place pup if he breaks sit)

I started at home in the yard then repeated the process in a park where there were distractions.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

I am not a pro trainer so take my comments with a grain of salt. I teach remote sit on a leash first. When the dog has a good understanding of this I do the same thing at heel.( blow the whistle and keep walking)Start waiting longer each time you call him off of sit and if he moves replace him to the exact spot he came from. The next thing I do is start sitting the on the return from a retrieve. If he is coming you can walk toward him stick your arm up and it incourages him to sit.Then move to sit as he is leaving. The closer he is to you the easier this is for the dog to understand then keep adding distance. All of my dogs seem to pick up on this really quick with out any pressure. I collar condition this later just in case i dont get a desired response. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by rafterbm; 04-02-2013 at 08:38 AM.

You might find some useful info here:

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...on-the-whistle
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

This is one of those "out of sequence" situations. My pups start young and learn the skill as part of a long term program. Asking this dog to go through those "steps" may be more that what is wanted. Usually, when a skill is needed with no context, it is much simpler to just work with something a bit more specific.

If I were looking for a "shortcut", the following link provides a possible approach. Steady on a remote sit is a taught expectation. The key to whether it works (or not) will depend on persistent and consistent OB in context. The transition to sitting remotely and retrieving marks is much more likely to happen once the skills taught in the linked article are established. Adjust the articles presentation to your specific needs.

Try This (link)

Edit: Make sure that when you use this link the hunting aspect is limited (toned down). Modify it to suit your needs. An open, short grass area will allow you to present the "picture". Sit on any tossed bumper, mark in the air and don't move until released should be the focus.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 04-02-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    This is one of those "out of sequence" situations. My pups start young and learn the skill as part of a long term program. Asking this dog to go through those "steps" may be more that what is wanted. Usually, when a skill is needed with no context, it is much simpler to just work with something a bit more specific.

If I were looking for a "shortcut", the following link provides a possible approach. Steady on a remote sit is a taught expectation. The key to whether it works (or not) will depend on persistent and consistent OB in context. The transition to sitting remotely and retrieving marks is much more likely to happen once the skills taught in the linked article are established. Adjust the articles presentation to your specific needs.

Try This (link)

Edit: Make sure that when you use this link the hunting aspect is limited (toned down). Modify it to suit your needs. An open, short grass area will allow you to present the "picture". Sit on any tossed bumper, mark in the air and don't move until released should be the focus.
    As always, Kwick has given sound advice...

What the link he provided basically shows, is what the Bill Hillman puppy training DVD teaches...

I think the purchase of that DVD would give you a very sound begginning to teach thedog a good "sit" and be comfortable sitting remotly as you throw a bumper or bird. As you progress, the dog will learn to sit as soon as it hears the whistle or command.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Ok here is the scenario, the dog is 2.5yo with virtually no formal training. The dog has not been pressure conditioned, CC, or FF. Everything she does is pretty much raw natural talent. She would not stand a chance is a HT but for a dog with very little training she is impressive.
    My suggestion descends from what the dog is; a raw talent with little training. As I view it, remote 'sit' is not just a trick you teach one, or a single skill. It is a result of sequential training. If your friend wants the benefits of a well trained handling dog there is a sequence of skills that will not only lead up to a good remote sit, but will also develop into a nice handling dog.

Standard obedience - formalied - is first; Here, Sit, Heel, Kennel, Down, etc.
    Force fetch; all components up to and including force to pile
    3-handed casting to teach the 3 basic casts; Back, right Over, and left Over
    This is where I CC to 'sit', and transition into Mini-T, where the remote sit is easily introduced and put to work
    T, TT, Water Force & Swim-by finish out formal Basics.

Generally, the course of work takes around 6 months.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    Ok here is the scenario, the dog is 2.5yo with virtually no formal training. The dog has not been pressure conditioned, CC, or FF. Everything she does is pretty much raw natural talent. She would not stand a chance is a HT but for a dog with very little training she is impressive.She is obedientand has plenty of drive.
    The dogs owner is posing the question to me, how to make her remotely sit. He does not want to use a collar to teach this. As of right now if he says sit from a distance she runs to him and sits at heal.
    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to go about training this?
    Thanks for any help in advance,

Dustin
    The guy doesn't train but wants a trained dog. What do you think your chances of are getting the owner to start a program and follow it through for basics at least? Frankly, I wouldn't waste my, his and his dog's time.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013