The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Sit

OB trainers have been teaching remote sits & stay, forever. If your not going to use an e-collar, then choke-prong collar and you get more manual in your enforcement. Start short distance with lead, work to long distance with a tab, train for a 10-15min sit without movement as the owner goes about regular activities, then once dog knows sit & stay, add marks, first walk-up to dog for the release, then teach remote release with command-name.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    My suggestion descends from what the dog is; a raw talent with little training. As I view it, remote 'sit' is not just a trick you teach one, or a single skill. It is a result of sequential training. If your friend wants the benefits of a well trained handling dog there is a sequence of skills that will not only lead up to a good remote sit, but will also develop into a nice handling dog.

Standard obedience - formalied - is first; Here, Sit, Heel, Kennel, Down, etc.
    Force fetch; all components up to and including force to pile
    3-handed casting to teach the 3 basic casts; Back, right Over, and left Over
    This is where I CC to 'sit', and transition into Mini-T, where the remote sit is easily introduced and put to work
    T, TT, Water Force & Swim-by finish out formal Basics.

Generally, the course of work takes around 6 months.

Evan
    Evan,

Im going to give him my Smartworks Basics pack tonight. The rest is on him. He just has a problem with the E-colar and i by no means have the knowlege to help him. Im following your program and thats all i know.

Dustin

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    Evan,

Im going to give him my Smartworks Basics pack tonight. The rest is on him. He just has a problem with the E-colar and i by no means have the knowlege to help him. Im following your program and thats all i know.

Dustin
    Anytime you need help - you or your friend - just ask.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I'd give him (or recommend he buy) Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows, by James B. Spencer. I don't remember that Spencer even mentions an e-collar anywhere in the book. He's also an engaging writer. In the process of reading about whistle sit, your friend will likely find himself reading about the other parts of training.

Otherwise, I'm with others: OB trainers have been teaching Drop on Recall and Signals for ages without e-collars. There are many ways to teach a remote sit or down. A common method of teaching Drop on Recall, substituting sit for drop:

Put dog in a stand-stay (gotta teach that first, of course). Have a visual barrier between you and dog, like a 3-foot section of white PVC pipe. Stand right in front of dog, with white pipe between you and dog. Whistle and say "sit". At this point, if the dog doesn't know sit-front, owner could use a treat in front of the dog's nose to guide into a sit. Next time, no lure. Dog will probably sit from a stand. If he moves to heel position, simply move him back to the other side of the PVC. No correction; dog has no idea what you want. If he sits from a stand without walking to heel, praise and treat. Do a few times, dropping the sit command and using whistle only.

When he has that down, owner takes one (ONE!!!!) step back from dog, with dog behind the PVC pipe. Whistle. Dog will likely take a step over the PVC. Move him back to behind the PVC, put him in a sit and praise highly. (Doesn't matter that you had to help him do it correctly. You have to make it clear what you wanted him to do). Etc. Gradually move further back, always leaving the dog in a stand right behind the PVC pipe. When you can get, say, 20 yards away, remove the PVC pipe.

Next step is to get a sit while he's moving towards you. Set him a SHORT distance (a few steps) behind the PVC pipe. Give a recall. Then, give a sit whistle almost immediately. The idea is to have him sit behind the PVC pipe before he has built up momentum.

Gradually, work to increase distance, fade the visual aid (the PVC pipe) etc., etc.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

use bill hillmann dvds and it should get you were you want to be. great dvds in my opnion.