The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best microchip

Default best microchip

Does anyone have experience getting lost pet recovered with microchip? I have always just left the registration with the vets etc., who have assured me they would contact me if my pet got lost.

I no longer trust that, so I'm switching things over. Dog 1 has Avid, charge is $19.95 for life. Dog 2 has Home Again, which wants $14.99 every year.

Is one chip more reliable than the other? Are there differences in the service?

I'm wondering if I should get them re-chipped.

Thanks!
    Renee P

All my dogs are chipped with HomeAgain. Do not fall into the trap with Home Again that there is an annual renewal, not true. Once a dog is chipped and the chip is registered you are set.

I have had two dogs recovered because of their chip.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

My last litter I had done with the lifetime fees paid up front I think it was by Petlink. They are planted under the skin not in the muscle like the ones you have. AKC also sells a similar one that you can do yourself. As far as planting a new chip I wouldn't bother.

We use the PetLink as well. We have the litter chipped at the vets office and they send in the info. Of course all the pups are listed as ours until the new owners simple log on to petlink site and swap the info. Actually had a dog get recovered and the humane society contacted me. It was a pup we had sold and the owner hadn't swapped info. When they told me where they were from I knew who the dog belonged to. So they do work!

I've Found the AVID ones don't move as much, the chip with my one dog with Home-Again, is located somewhere in her Elbow last time I checked.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by cpmm665 View Post
    All my dogs are chipped with HomeAgain. Do not fall into the trap with Home Again that there is an annual renewal, not true. Once a dog is chipped and the chip is registered you are set.

I have had two dogs recovered because of their chip.
    The online form says they will automatically charge my credit card annually:

Billing Terms

When you enroll in the Service, you authorize Intervet to charge your credit card for the activation fee and annual subscription fee stated on the enrollment and authorization form for the Services, as well as for any and all other fees you may incur in connection with your utilization of the Services. You further authorize Intervet to charge your credit card automatically on a recurring basis each year for the then-current annual subscription fee. Intervet will advise you by electronic mail or in writing at least ten (10) days in advance of the annual renewal date of any change in the subscription fee. You understand that, once charged, subscription fees for the Services are non-refundable. You agree and represent that all information you provide for the purpose of enrolling in the Services is accurate, complete and current, and you agree to notify Intervet of any changes to your credit card information, including changes in billing address and expiration dates. If Intervet does not receive payment from the issuer of your credit card, you agree to pay all amounts due upon demand directly to Intervet, and Intervet further reserves the right to either suspend or terminate your subscription in such circumstances.
    If I'm going to get better protection for this particular dog, ok...but otherwise it would be cheaper to get her an Avid chip with the one time fee.
    Renee P

Both vets that chipped my dogs have passed away. One placed just closed its doors one day, the other place is still going with a new vet.

I also have a cat with the Home Again chip registered with one of the deceased vets...annual charges for multipet households could really add up.
    Renee P

I just had my dogs chipped. The Vet told me the same thing Cindy is saying. Basicly the HomeAgain annual fee buys you all the "fluff" (posters, mailings insurance for return fees, etc). Your original registrationion fee covers getting the chip number up on the database as well. Once the chip is registered in a database, it will always be there. I asked her if i should register with multiple databases and she said it was not neccessary. The way she handles it (if she gets a lost dog in her office) is to scan for a chip, and she does a search on all the registries (i think she said there is one website that checks all of them automatically) so no matter who you register with, your pet should find its way back to you.
    Scott

HR Kiowa's Li'l Girl "Abby" SH, WCX, CGC
    Kiowa's Carillon "Bella"

The only registration I can find with home again is the thing with the fee. Can you tell me where to look?

I'm not understanding something.

Right now it is registered with the deceased vet.
    Renee P

The actual chip ID would be registered with the Home Again database. If you have the number you should be able to verify it via the Home Again website.
    Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)