The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best microchip

I use www.akccar.org for registering all of my chips, regardless of brand. I stopped using the Home Again registry when they started trying to get the annual fee. I typically use Home Again or the AKC chips these days, all my puppies are chipped before going home. There is no reason to re-chip your pets, just have the chip number (and maybe brand) and you can do it online yourself with whatever registry you choose. Home Again will also accept any brand of chip in their registry. Not sure about Avid or some of the others. But definitely get them registered in your name, not the vet's.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

My Vet (sister in law) uses the ResQ chips. One time activation fee, nice website where you can update your pet's info online. No chip migration in two years. Very happy with it.

http://www.petlink.net/us/cms2.sprin...=/welcome.html

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    The only registration I can find with home again is the thing with the fee. Can you tell me where to look?

I'm not understanding something.

Right now it is registered with the deceased vet.
    Did your vet actually register the chip somewhere?
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Once you find a new Vet, have them scan your pets for a chip and run the chip numbers through the database(s) that they use and see what they come up with. If the chips are still registered to your now deceased vets (bummer) than you should be able to just contact the registry and have them change the contact info to your own.

The way I understand it is the chips are not "branded" to any specific registry. For example, lets say you have a box of brand "A" chips. those chips can be registered with any registry service, lets say registry "X" and registry "Y". Registry X may offer a one time fee to put the number in its database, registry Y may offer an initial registration that gets your chip number on a database plus the added benefits of recovery services for 1 year. You can continue to pay registry Y a yearly fee in return they will provide some services if your pet is ever lost, for example you will have the piece of mind that if your pet is lost and found 4 states away the cost of getting fido back to you would be covered as well as other "fluff items". In either case, your chip number, with your contact info will remain on the database forever.

hope this helps
    Scott

HR Kiowa's Li'l Girl "Abby" SH, WCX, CGC
    Kiowa's Carillon "Bella"

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Did your vet actually register the chip somewhere?
    I don't know for sure, I thought so. I thought that if my pet got lost and found, they scan my pet and it comes up with the vet who chipped it. Then they call the vet, and the vet calls me.

One of the vet techs (who used to work at the deceased vet who closed and is now working at the other vet's who died but is still open ) told me to call Avid who told me to go to AvidId.com and do it online. When I saw the fee I called them back and was told that they had the chip linked to the vet, and to change it I had to pay the fee. This is the chip in my older dog. So I did that.

Then I went to HomeAgain.com, which is the chip in my younger dog and Mitty Kitty, and got sticker shock, which is when I turned to RTF...

Obviously I am clueless. I thought I had to register with the company that sold the chip.
    Last edited by mitty; 04-02-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Renee P

Thanks for all the responses.

Scott thanks for spelling things out for me.

Until recently I did not keep a cell phone, and we travelled a lot, so having the chip linked to our vet worked out well. We might not be available but they always were.
    Renee P

What I am now finding disturbing is that I was also under the impression that the micro chips helped protect the pet from thieves. I think this was one of their selling points years ago, back when they first came out.

There doesn't seem to be any security involved in registering a micro chip to an owner. All you have to know is the chip number?
    Renee P

As a little off subject---- We gave a pup to our son, he was married. After a large amount of credit card debt on the wifes part there was a divorce. Since the judge knew we were breeders he gave the dog to the X wife. (He could always get another pup from Mom and Pop). She left and moved to Utah (with most of the house hold goods, many family items plus the dog.

She left the dog with a friend, went on a sking week end and WE got a call from the local dog catcher, "Do you own a Chocolate Lab female, she was found wandering in downtown Salt Lake City, and she has your micro chip number implanted in her neck? That was the wrong thing to say to Cleo. She looked up the air schedule to Salt Lake City and told them to hold the dog. She also told them the whole story of the divorce and the unplesantness of it.

The shelter called the next day to say that the owner had returned and demanded the dog back (the number never had been changed from our name), but before they released the dog, she had to go home and get a copy of the divorce decree. Justice is sometimes sweet! Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Thanks so much everyone. I can't believe how ignorant I am/was about this.

I went to http://www.petmicrochiplookup.org and punched in the chip numbers, came back as not registered and provided the manufacturer phone number to contact (which I presume contacts the vet who contacts me...).

I registered my second dog and one cat at petlink.net, reran the chip numbers and they are already coming back as registered to petlink (who I presume contacts me without the vet middleman).

Petlink was easy to use, fast and no paper work---all online. You can add a photo of the pet, too. Yesterday I did one dog with pettrac, which requires that you mail or fax some forms.

I still need to do one more cat...
    Renee P

I use Home Again chips but register with the AKC animal recovery database. One-time fee.

Meredith