The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: weather and training

Quote Originally Posted by KevinsKennels View Post
    I have snow goose hunted in blizzards and duck hunted during rain storms and goose hunted in 90 degree days. So I train even harder when weather is bad.
    I second this on all aspects. I make it a point to drag the kids out when it's raining to do marks with my dog.
    Steven

Nordahl's First Flight (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Nordahl's Flyin High (Sky) RIP

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Hmmm seems like we got a couple haters on here! Ill have you know I just got done training.

I don't train in hard or steady rain. A few showers or mist I can deal with. Like tomorrow it is going to rain. I will take the day off. It won't hurt the dog any to have a break. In fact it will probably do him some good to have a day off.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Just like my old job, neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night keeps me from training.
    Terry C.

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

Sunny Dee Light MH QAA (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea, Derby Dog (Crude)

20 years ago, I worked and when I had time off I trained except when the snow was to deep, the coldest I trained was -23 degrees F. I was tougher then now if it's below 0 I almost don't train. We don't have the real heavy rain of the Pacific Northwest so our liquid sunshine isn't the bother in the summer that steady hard rain can be. I've trained in the snow, wet, ice, fog etc. The dogs liked it all.

Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Do you think that training in the rougher weather helps or hinders.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

If you think your dog is a handling machine- run a biggo blind in some serious wind. If that goes OK then add a buncha rain and see how that goes. Here in the Northwet we get pretty used to training with cold water running down the back of yer neck but I put them on my lap when the wind is harsh.

Leave them fans off regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

got stuck in traffic when i left work but luckily the last 30 mins of daylight was just a drizzle. figured id have to reteach the first leg from yesterday seeing as how things have went in previous yard work (although yesterday he did real well with it being taught). went ahead and planted with white and orange and took him out of the crate. lined it cold like a champ. ran it a few times then taught other outside leg using only white. got to baseline in 5 sends and sent 3 more times on new learned leg then rotated between first and second for last 2. the first leg was now all orange and he had no problem (i know i need more white. im in process of ordering more). more rain tomorrow and hopefully a new (middle) leg. we'll see how he likes that 200 yarder in the rain.

Perfect weather I can only wish!!! I train in most weather conditions. Good for you and the dogs. Keep in shape. Have to be careful of ice so I dislike when it rains, then snows and immediately freezes - makes it a bit challenging. That may be the only time I have to look for a safe spot to train.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

If I would hut in it I train in it!