The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Boykin Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Besides being "busy" and slower to mature than Labs, what other traits do Boykins have? How are they in the house?

I ask because our son in law fishes and would love to have a dog in the boat with him. He also hunts... ducks and pheasants. Years ago he had a Brittany Spaniel and loved it. I don't think he has ever heard of a Boykin. It sounds like a dog that would fit his needs. Our big black Labs are just too big for his small fishing boat. His ideal dog would be a house-companion dog, too. You know... sit next to you on the couch and watch TV with you type of dog.

Tell me more about Boykin personalities...
    The boykin personality is amazing. They just want to be with you. Max will follow me room to room and he will plop down right by my feet and look up at me as if he is saying "What can I do for you master?". They have a tendency to really attach to one person in the family. They are a very versatile hunting dog they will hunt up-land, they will excel in the dove field, and you can even hunt them out of a canoe without worrying about it tipping. Max has never meet a stranger. Max is very well behaved in the house. He has chewed somethings up, but honestly it was when he was a little puppy. He has his toys and he will only play with them.

This breed has won me over and I'm going to stick with them!

I just would be careful as to where I got my Boykin from. I get the feeling that a split in the breed may be possible.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    I just would be careful as to where I got my Boykin from. I get the feeling that a split in the breed may be possible.
    You mean like springers, cockers and oh, almost every other spaniel, and Labs, goldens and oh, almost every other retriever? That's real helpful advice, y'all keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Besides being "busy" and slower to mature than Labs, what other traits do Boykins have? How are they in the house?
    They rate excellent with the proviso you give them enough work outside the house. As house gundogs their chores include vacuuming

along with pest control

along with pillow dusting

And in 25 years' experience with them, they ain't necessarily slow to mature, either, but they can live a long time with their exuberant maturity, as in still working

at what they do best at 12 years old - and with any luck, getting a well-bred Boykin, the end of their work's still a ways off.

MG

Crackerd, that is exactly what I mean. I noticed that you left out Chessies and we both know why.

I wouldn't have commented on Boykins unless: 1) I have already seen different "types" 2) I have spoken to Boykin owners 3) I have looked at some websites and 4) I personally know someone who is a nonhunter but greatly interested in showing Boykins.

As for Goldens, I was very careful with my choice. I refused to settle rather than select. I am not picking on Boykins, I am just saying that I believe at one time if you got a Boykin there was no question that it was a working dog. I am not so sure that it will remain that way.

Now let me ask you---Are there two competing registries for Boykins?

And yes, I will keep it coming. If I am casting pearls before swine, well so be it.

Don't forget, I am a Boykin fan.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 04-04-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Not substantiated just more rumor... There is already a "split" it's in Boykin type and size which vary significantly even in the same litter and dependent upon the lines... I do agree with you about being many "careful" due to the irresponsible breeding practices of so many involved in this breed though. Boykins can be registered BSS, AKC, and UKC.
    Last edited by frontier; 04-04-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mac View Post
    Waiing on a Brandwine pup myself. did lot of research. tHEY ARE A GREAT BREED.
    Brandywine is an excellent choice and they also have a focus on health issues..several of their Boykins are OFA excellent in their breeding program and they test for Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC) as well as the other clearances for the breed..
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Fellow Boykin owner here in Birmingham. This is my first dog to train, and he's done pretty well. He was really young last summer when I really got after the training (turned 1 in January), but did really well during hunting season and picked up a bunch of ducks and quite a few doves. The light turned up for him and he's been great ever since. I'm hoping to take advantage of some spring training and really get him going.

Great dog though. Small but loves to go. Definitely follow up if you're ever in AL

Crackerd and others

Please comment on the Boykin Spaniel Society's position statement:

The Board of Directors of the Boykin Spaniel Society has reviewed and discussed, following input from several members of the BSS, several issues relating to the registration by its members with registration services other than the BSS, including primarily the American Kennel Club - Foundation Stock Service (the Non-BSS Registry). The Board believes that the breeding standards and policies that have been adopted by the Board and the members of the BSS best promote and maintain the attributes and standards of the Boykin Spaniel as improved in each succeeding generation relative to the breedís hunting ability, interaction within the family and home, and most importantly, the breedís overall health and that the Boykin Spaniel Registry (the OFFICIAL registry of the Boykin Spaniel) provides the best alternative among registration services. Alternatively, the Board believes that the Non-BSS Registry may encourage, foster or support breeding standards and policies that are inconsistent with the principles and objectives of the BSS (as set forth in its Constitution and Bylaws). In light of the foregoing, the Board recommends to its members against registration with the Non-BSS Registry. Although the Board does not support or condone different or unequal treatment or benefits for BSS members who choose to also be registered with the Non-BSS Registry or any other registration service, the BSS shall continue its proactive stance against registration with the Non-BSS Registry. The Boykin Spaniel Society, The Boykin Spaniel Registry and the Boykin Spaniel Foundation were established first in time and principle to protect and support the breed and the Board and officers and staff of the BSS have worked diligently in the past and will continue to work hard to improve the breed and make sure that the Boykin Spaniel remains the wonderful dog that it is.

(From the Boykin Spaniel Society's website)

The BSS was the original registry for Boykins & they were acutely aware of the inevitable breed split that occurs in practicality every sporting breed registered by the AKC. They hoped to avoid the fate of "bench-bred" versions of their hunting dogs. In the 90s though, a group of Boykin owners who disagreed w/ that position, set themselves up as a "parent club" for the purpose of getting the AKC to recognize their dogs.

Most of the Boykin owners I know register their dogs w/ both because they want to access the AKC hunt tests but are sympathetic to the concerns of the BSS

My impression is that there has been quite an uptick in interest in the breed since their AKC recognition. I think it's reasonable to be concerned for the future of the breed based on what has happened to so many other sporting breeds
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dogí nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

That is exactly what I was referring to. My understanding is that there are some very strong feelings re AKC recognition.