RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Boykin Puppy

16K views 63 replies 25 participants last post by  zsimp07 
#1 ·
Bringing one of these jokers home in a few weeks. Hoping mainly for a good buddy, but also planning on him picking up a few dead birds.
If you have a Boykin or have any experience with them I would love to hear your thoughts/advice.

Thanks,

Joseph

Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Non-Sporting Group

See less See more
#46 ·
Brandywine is an excellent choice and they also have a focus on health issues..several of their Boykins are OFA excellent in their breeding program and they test for Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC) as well as the other clearances for the breed..

#43 ·
I just would be careful as to where I got my Boykin from. I get the feeling that a split in the breed may be possible.
You mean like springers, cockers and oh, almost every other spaniel, and Labs, goldens and oh, almost every other retriever? That's real helpful advice, y'all keep it coming.

Besides being "busy" and slower to mature than Labs, what other traits do Boykins have? How are they in the house?
They rate excellent with the proviso you give them enough work outside the house. As house gundogs their chores include vacuuming

along with pest control

along with pillow dusting

And in 25 years' experience with them, they ain't necessarily slow to mature, either, but they can live a long time with their exuberant maturity, as in still working

at what they do best at 12 years old - and with any luck, getting a well-bred Boykin, the end of their work's still a ways off.

MG

#44 · (Edited)
Crackerd, that is exactly what I mean. I noticed that you left out Chessies and we both know why.

I wouldn't have commented on Boykins unless: 1) I have already seen different "types" 2) I have spoken to Boykin owners 3) I have looked at some websites and 4) I personally know someone who is a nonhunter but greatly interested in showing Boykins.

As for Goldens, I was very careful with my choice. I refused to settle rather than select. I am not picking on Boykins, I am just saying that I believe at one time if you got a Boykin there was no question that it was a working dog. I am not so sure that it will remain that way.

Now let me ask you---Are there two competing registries for Boykins?

And yes, I will keep it coming. If I am casting pearls before swine, well so be it.

Don't forget, I am a Boykin fan.

#47 ·
Fellow Boykin owner here in Birmingham. This is my first dog to train, and he's done pretty well. He was really young last summer when I really got after the training (turned 1 in January), but did really well during hunting season and picked up a bunch of ducks and quite a few doves. The light turned up for him and he's been great ever since. I'm hoping to take advantage of some spring training and really get him going.

Great dog though. Small but loves to go. Definitely follow up if you're ever in AL

#48 ·
Crackerd and others

Please comment on the Boykin Spaniel Society's position statement:

The Board of Directors of the Boykin Spaniel Society has reviewed and discussed, following input from several members of the BSS, several issues relating to the registration by its members with registration services other than the BSS, including primarily the American Kennel Club - Foundation Stock Service (the Non-BSS Registry). The Board believes that the breeding standards and policies that have been adopted by the Board and the members of the BSS best promote and maintain the attributes and standards of the Boykin Spaniel as improved in each succeeding generation relative to the breed’s hunting ability, interaction within the family and home, and most importantly, the breed’s overall health and that the Boykin Spaniel Registry (the OFFICIAL registry of the Boykin Spaniel) provides the best alternative among registration services. Alternatively, the Board believes that the Non-BSS Registry may encourage, foster or support breeding standards and policies that are inconsistent with the principles and objectives of the BSS (as set forth in its Constitution and Bylaws). In light of the foregoing, the Board recommends to its members against registration with the Non-BSS Registry. Although the Board does not support or condone different or unequal treatment or benefits for BSS members who choose to also be registered with the Non-BSS Registry or any other registration service, the BSS shall continue its proactive stance against registration with the Non-BSS Registry. The Boykin Spaniel Society, The Boykin Spaniel Registry and the Boykin Spaniel Foundation were established first in time and principle to protect and support the breed and the Board and officers and staff of the BSS have worked diligently in the past and will continue to work hard to improve the breed and make sure that the Boykin Spaniel remains the wonderful dog that it is.

(From the Boykin Spaniel Society's website)

#55 · (Edited)
Crackerd and others

Please comment on the Boykin Spaniel Society's position statement:

The Board of Directors of the Boykin Spaniel Society has reviewed and discussed, following input from several members of the BSS, several issues relating to the registration by its members with registration services other than the BSS, including primarily the American Kennel Club - Foundation Stock Service (the Non-BSS Registry). The Board believes that the breeding standards and policies that have been adopted by the Board and the members of the BSS best promote and maintain the attributes and standards of the Boykin Spaniel as improved in each succeeding generation relative to the breed’s hunting ability, interaction within the family and home, and most importantly, the breed’s overall health and that the Boykin Spaniel Registry (the OFFICIAL registry of the Boykin Spaniel) provides the best alternative among registration services. Alternatively, the Board believes that the Non-BSS Registry may encourage, foster or support breeding standards and policies that are inconsistent with the principles and objectives of the BSS (as set forth in its Constitution and Bylaws). In light of the foregoing, the Board recommends to its members against registration with the Non-BSS Registry. Although the Board does not support or condone different or unequal treatment or benefits for BSS members who choose to also be registered with the Non-BSS Registry or any other registration service, the BSS shall continue its proactive stance against registration with the Non-BSS Registry. The Boykin Spaniel Society, The Boykin Spaniel Registry and the Boykin Spaniel Foundation were established first in time and principle to protect and support the breed and the Board and officers and staff of the BSS have worked diligently in the past and will continue to work hard to improve the breed and make sure that the Boykin Spaniel remains the wonderful dog that it is.

(From the Boykin Spaniel Society's website)
There's a whole history here (including lawsuits, etc.) of which I am privy. I register my litters in all three registries, AKC, BSS, and UKC so my clients can participate in whatever venues they choose. BSS had an opportunity to take the lead and be the AKC parent club for the Boykin Spaniel when approached, but took a different direction. So my feeling is some BSS members need to stop the bully tactics, non fact-based propaganda, and criticism of those breeders and owners who choose to register in AKC so their dogs can participate in multiple-purpose AKC events.

This is nothing new, and goes on in almost every breed seeking or recently recognized by AKC.

And to the OP, Joseph, congrats on your new Boykin pup.

#49 ·
The BSS was the original registry for Boykins & they were acutely aware of the inevitable breed split that occurs in practicality every sporting breed registered by the AKC. They hoped to avoid the fate of "bench-bred" versions of their hunting dogs. In the 90s though, a group of Boykin owners who disagreed w/ that position, set themselves up as a "parent club" for the purpose of getting the AKC to recognize their dogs.

Most of the Boykin owners I know register their dogs w/ both because they want to access the AKC hunt tests but are sympathetic to the concerns of the BSS

My impression is that there has been quite an uptick in interest in the breed since their AKC recognition. I think it's reasonable to be concerned for the future of the breed based on what has happened to so many other sporting breeds

#51 ·
#56 ·
On the whole I agree with Terrie, who's done right by the breed for a long time. I'm biased in thinking, inevitably, that AKC recognition is great for the Boykin if only in offering eligibility in the best retrieving venue (my opinion). But that's not the only benefit. Nor was it the intent of the splinter group that became the official parent club upstaging the Boykin Spaniel Society. However, there's more vigilance and focus now on health issues in the breed by dint of AKC status - and I hope Terrie agrees that Boykins because of it are bred better now than ever.

I'm pro-Boykin Spaniel Society and it's been my registry from the start, as I've not started a pup since the breed went AKC. (The next one will be AKC and who knows? maybe their eligibility will be not just for hunt tests but field trials too.) But it's worth noting that Boykins only got a real breed rescue organization about a decade ago through volunteers' initiative, not from any BSS motivation; until then Boykins sort of struck me, sadly, as the disposable gundog with almost as many discards as the pointer people jettison when their dogs don't "turn out."

I'm not slagging on the BSS, but my perception is Boykins have gotten "healthier" since they went AKC (in part by Boykin puppies now commanding higher prices and breeders aware that without health clearances they won't get those kinds of prices for their pups). And that's a good thing in the end. I really don't see Boykins as a showdog split, even though there is great disparity in appearance (within the same litter, as Terrie noted). The great majority of them are workers even if it's only at bringing back a tennis ball thrown by their 8-9 year old youngster, and I see them following the model of their forebears, the Chessie, into the showring as far secondary to what they do afield. Or tertiary behind what they do afield and what they do on the arm of a sofa as little brown serotonin dispensers - not a more companionable housedog out there.

MG

#57 ·
Whats hurting the breed right now is people are finding out what really good all around dogs they are. The largest breeder in the nation doesn't have a single dog at the Boykin Spaniel National Field Trial this weekend. They breeds for $$$$$ only. Boykins and two or three other breeds at the same time.

#59 · (Edited)
As far as breeding for $$$$$ only, there are many high volume Boykin breeders who register BSS and have been doing that for years and years and do not even test breeding stock for hips at a minimum. Please P.M. with the answer as to who in your opinion is "largest breeder in the Nation". I would guess we are probably equally apalled but for different reasons. My focus being on health issues in the breed, which in my opinion is the biggest issue facing Boykins due to increased popularity and irresponsible breeding practices.

#58 ·
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Carnivore

That is my biggest fear; that people are finding out what great dogs they can be and now the folks are coming out to jump on the latest bandwagon. I experienced this first-hand when someone had two dog bought over the internet and then bred them at two years of age and with no health testing, no proven hunting ability. His telling comment was that the dogs could be sold at a higher price than the Labs. I passed on that guy and several others when I searched for a dog.
I bought my two from a breeder that has been in it for many years, done health testing and hunt tests. His dogs are top ranked titled producers in the HRC and has records of health checks. I truely bought my first dog; just for a pheasant dog; but he is such a great dog I had to get another. We have done AKC hunt tests, HRC hunt tests and the Boykin upland tests. Both of mine are active but are very willingly set at my feet while I chill out at home.
My older dog is great to have at childrens parties were he delights the kids doing all sorts of tricks for them. When our HRC club had a kids camp I lent him out to a young man to run in the hunt test set up and obedience activites. My younger dog is hopefully my introduction to waterfowl hunting.
My advice to buyers is do your homework, excepect to wait a bit for your pup and when you get that adorable creature, do obedience with and sociallize him or her. They are only small in size not in heart!

#61 ·
Magnanimous offer. Saw a lot of "Ch"s on your site but not anything with HRC in front of that CH, or much of anything field-related after the dogs' names, either - nothing at all with any Boykins. What training issues, exactly, would you help a handler come unstuck on with their Boykins and what program would you use in so doing?

MG

#63 ·
Be fair, Crackerd. Someone offered to help with training.

1) I didn't know that titled parents were required to get a good litter (Poika of Handjem is an OS but had no titles)
2) If you read the poster's credentials as an animal trainer (assuming you're talking about Briogirls), they look OK to me
3) What program are you using that you would recommend? That is far more helpful than sarcasm.
4) I saw HT titles on her curlies. I think she just may walk the walk as well as talk the talk

#62 ·
Maybe I was wrong but I didn't read that comment as a knock on the breed. Simply an offer for training advice for a new retriever owner.

To the original poster. Take a road trip & train with the North Alabama HRC crew. I will introduce you to a gentleman who knows just a little about the breed. His credentials now include another win at the Boykin nationals and he also took 4th this year with his other pup Pelham. Way to go Butch and Stoney!!!

#64 ·
My boykin puppy was just born on the 19th. I'm going to go see her probably next weekend. I'm very excited to bring her home. I'm from the Boykin's home state though. If you want a book for training that's just boykin related, check out just ducky publishing, they have a book with an emphasis on training boykins. Sorry if someone already posted this, I'll admit, I skipped to the end to post that for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.