The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boykin Puppy

If your living in Starkville, walking a Boykin pup around a certain University campus will be a VERY effective hunting technique. Just be careful, I almost got a ticket doing that years ago. The officer kept insisting I was hunting over a baited field.
    "That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

Wow guys, thanks for the great responses. Y’all are getting me even more excited to bring him home in May.

For those of you who’ve trained a Boykin is there anything particularly different from training a Lab that sticks out in your mind?

And leemac if you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about, while my wife has no problem with me chasing birds, I’m willing to bet chasing tail feathers of a different kind wouldn’t go over so well.

Thanks again everybody, I’m looking forward to learning all I can from this site.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
    1 Peter 1:3

Quote Originally Posted by JGorman View Post
    Wow guys, thanks for the great responses. Y’all are getting me even more excited to bring him home in May.

For those of you who’ve trained a Boykin is there anything particularly different from training a Lab that sticks out in your mind?

And leemac if you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about, while my wife has no problem with me chasing birds, I’m willing to bet chasing tail feathers of a different kind wouldn’t go over so well.

Thanks again everybody, I’m looking forward to learning all I can from this site.
    Talk to Boykin people for that one. I have noticed differences but since I don't own a Boykin and since I only know four, I hesitate to make any comments.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

You can use the same program you would use on a lab, BUT they are not labs. They take longer to develop, they are softer, they get bored with doing the same drill over and over. Just go at their pace and you will be okay. Male boykins are a lot easier to train than females. If you want I can pm you my phone number and you can give me a call if you want to talk over the phone.

Bringing one of these jokers home in a few weeks. Hoping mainly for a good buddy, but also planning on him picking up a few dead birds.
    If you have a Boykin or have any experience with them I would love to hear your thoughts/advice.

Thanks,

Joseph

Attachment 12226
    A Boykin????? i think those are for girls.. get you a real hunter like mine..

bulldog.jpg

Ive trained several. I do OB the same as labs. I do force fetch the same as labs. I decheat the same as labs. I throw the same marks as labs doing qual work. i run the same blinds.

Is there a difference. yeah i guess so for some of the work. They all catch on certain skills and concepts differently. but so do most other breeds as well. Read your dog. Train the dog you have.

ive got 2 right now that are about the same age and at the same point in training. 1 took nearly no time to get forced to a pile out to 100 yards but took way yonder longer than normal to stop on a dang whistle. the other one took forever to get forced to a pile the way i demand but stopped on the whistle en route the first session and started taking both back casts.

im trying to learn to balance better as we all need to. My 2 year old dog was picking up legit 300 yard marks at 11 months old but took nearly his whole 2nd year to de-cheat through our program. and still needs refresher sessions. I've learned of my holes in training as anyone training a dog should learn to see and fix. hopefully before its too late and causes you problems.

not all of them (but most of the ones ive trained seem a little slower to mature than most labs). So i guess the best advice is slow down and do everything thoroughly. be prepared to seek help when you come to a place that is a road block and try different tactics.

I've trained a few labs and now own a really talented young one myself. I am amazed most days by the time it takes her to catch on certain things that have taken my boykins much longer to grasp.

I love my boykins and will always have one or more. But in my humble and worthless opinion to build a dynamic duck dog and competitive dog to todays standards- you are going to be better off doing it in a lab. Of course their are exceptions but generally speaking- don't expect your pup to come out of the womb doing the work. (too many people get a boykin thinking thats whats gonna happen).

Keep it slow, have high standards, learn your dog, and have fun.

Maybe after about 300 more boykins ill have this training stuff figured out...

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    A Boykin????? i think those are for girls.. get you a real hunter like mine..

bulldog.jpg

Now here we were having a nice, mature conversation and you just haaaad to throw in your two cents..... Jerk

logy and Blaine, thanks for the insight. This is my first dog so I don't have any experience training labs to compare against, but most of the training material I've come across is focused on more typical retrievers so I was curious if there was anything I should keep an eye out for.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
    1 Peter 1:3

This is my first dog so I don't have any experience training labs to compare against, but most of the training material I've come across is focused on more typical retrievers so I was curious if there was anything I should keep an eye out for.
    Just train the dog as any of the well established comprehensive programs suggest. And when you come to a place your dog is struggling call someone that has experience with them and try and determine if its just your dog being a dog, or if its your boykin being a boykin.

JGorman

Check your PM's.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Now here we were having a nice, mature conversation and you just haaaad to throw in your two cents..... Jerk

logy and Blaine, thanks for the insight. This is my first dog so I don't have any experience training labs to compare against, but most of the training material I've come across is focused on more typical retrievers so I was curious if there was anything I should keep an eye out for.
    Now see.... dont get all pissy. I used to have one of those and he was MHRCH........ "Master Hunter Retriever Champ".... Ok well maybe not but he was a MEANT "Master Eater and Nap Taker"....... I would have put him up against any dog in the world at taking naps...