The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boykin Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    JGorman

Check your PM's.
    I don't have enough posts to reply with a PM, but thank you for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    Now see.... dont get all pissy. I used to have one of those and he was MHRCH........ "Master Hunter Retriever Champ".... Ok well maybe not but he was a MEANT "Master Eater and Nap Taker"....... I would have put him up against any dog in the world at taking naps...
    Harley was indeed a bulldog among bulldogs. *observes moment of silence*
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
    1 Peter 1:3

Besides being "busy" and slower to mature than Labs, what other traits do Boykins have? How are they in the house?

I ask because our son in law fishes and would love to have a dog in the boat with him. He also hunts... ducks and pheasants. Years ago he had a Brittany Spaniel and loved it. I don't think he has ever heard of a Boykin. It sounds like a dog that would fit his needs. Our big black Labs are just too big for his small fishing boat. His ideal dog would be a house-companion dog, too. You know... sit next to you on the couch and watch TV with you type of dog.

Tell me more about Boykin personalities...

Harley was indeed a bulldog among bulldogs. *observes moment of silence*[/QUOTE]

Yes Sir he is very missed. Now in memory of him i want to take a nap....

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Besides being "busy" and slower to mature than Labs, what other traits do Boykins have? How are they in the house?

I ask because our son in law fishes and would love to have a dog in the boat with him. He also hunts... ducks and pheasants. Years ago he had a Brittany Spaniel and loved it. I don't think he has ever heard of a Boykin. It sounds like a dog that would fit his needs. Our big black Labs are just too big for his small fishing boat. His ideal dog would be a house-companion dog, too. You know... sit next to you on the couch and watch TV with you type of dog.

Your son in law's situation seems very close to mine. I'm hoping for a dog to hang out in the boat while I fish, be a good house pet for my wife while I'm at work, and still go get a duck. Based on the research I've done the Boykin seems like a perfect fit. I realize a lab can easily fullfil those roles as well, but size comes into play because my wife doesn't want a huge dog in the house.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Mine stays in the house when we are home he sleeps in the bed with my wife and I every night. They are fine in the house but because they are busy they can get into some trouble. No different than any other house dog they just need something to keep them busy besides your shoes or socks or toilet paper. I use a kong to keep mine occupied he is absolutely crazy about that damn thing. He will hide it from his self under the couch or under a blanket and the have a ball hunting it up after he hides it from himself. Some days I work from home and he can be found laying at my feet under my desk. One thing that needs to be taught is the "place" command. So if the dog is being annoying or just too busy running around the house I tell him "place" and point to his bed or place mat and keep him there while I go about my business. Boykins are very energetic dogs so they need to be ran and worked as much as you can just to burn off some of that energy. As far as hunting out of a smaller boat they are the best there is, mine loves to jump up on the front deck of my 14 foot Jon boat and go as fast as we can go. He thinks he is the captain of the biggest ship in the world and he is much easier to get in and out of the boat than a 80 pound dog. As far as training them like others have said you train them just like any other dog but learn how to read your dog, they do get bored with doing the same drills over and over. All in all anyone looking for a smaller retriever or upland flusher can't go wrong with a Boykin. They can even be trained to point and flush on command if that's your cup of tea. You can PM me or give me a call if you want.

I've owned and bred Boykins on a limited basis for the past 20 years along with my Labradors of almost 30 years. Unique personalities every one, some sensitive, some stubborn, and others very tractable just like Labs. Many of my clients are similiar to your son's situation...just wanting to transition to a smaller family type gun dog. I like this article written a few years ago and it seems to help many who are interested in the breed.
    http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/0..._gf_aa056302a/ The breed is AKC recognized now as well and can participate in AKC spaniel and retriever hunt tests as well as other venues if AKC registered.

Health issues are a definite challenge in this breed. Sadly, many breeders do not even do basic OFA health clearances before breeding on parents. ACVO eye clearance, OFA cardiac, OFA patellas, and Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC) are other concerns. There are also certain lines that seem to contain more epilepsy, severe skin and food allergies, and aggression, and overshot and undershot bite.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

I got my Boykin, Sport, 15 years ago this spring. I buried him this past October. I got him when I was in college and he lived with me, not just in the house but everywhere for his first year. When I began my Boykin ride they were touted as the "Dog that won't rock the boat", stemming from their heritage in the low country of S.C.. I was fortunate enough to go to college with a fella by the name of Lem Boykin at ABAC in Tifton GA. If you've studied much of the history of LBD's you'll recognize the name. The Boykin family still raised cotton in S.C. when Lem and I last spoke. Boykins were bred to be small eager hunters for retrieving and turkey hunting. When I bought Sport, thats what I got.

Boykin's have changed tremendously in the past fifteen years.

My boy was a big one, or so I thought when he was young at a very muscular 34 pounds. It seems that they have been bred to be larger now.

They have a rep for being hyper. Yes, if things that pulled his trigger were introduced (birds) he would loses his cool but he rode shotgun in my Jeep or in the front seat of a jon boat and enjoyed being with his human as much as any dog I've seen. He was dang sure more laid back than my lab when he had plenty of people time.

He wasn't aggressive, but he didn't like his space to be invaded either. I learn quickly to let him pull the cuckleburrs from his coat. That said if you rode to far without give him a little love he would rest his paw on the console intill you paid him some attention.

As far as water attitude, well, its a thousand wonders he wasn't eaten by an alligator. He liked to swim more than any dog I have ever seen. If he found water, he went swimming, for as long as he wanted to (i mean like 20 minutes straight) no matter if you wanted him to or not. Before the alligators got bad on the main lake on Lake Eufaula, he would go water skiing with me. On a beach break, if a low flying bird came by he would give chase and if it worked out just right he would swim so far off the bank I would get nervous and go get him in the boat. I'm talking 5-600 yards out to sea and no sign of turning around.

He was vocal, on a chase, as was bred for early on in Boykins. They were originally used to find and bust up flocks of turkeys in the fall for a hunter to call back together. He would bark (yip really) every step as he chased a crippled dove all the way across a peanut field.

He was the best dog I have had the privilege of owning, or being owned by. His heart was ten times bigger than his body. I almost lost him duck hunting a lily pad pond when he was three. I sent him on a retrieve and he got tangled in the pads. Just before his nose went under, he made it to a log and climbed on. He took one really deep breathe, saw the duck twenty yards further and was launching off the log as I caught his back leg from the front of my gheenoe. He wined like a mad man until I poled to open water and sent him for his duck. For that reason, I've switched to a lab as my hunting, retriever. As big as Sports heart was, he didn't have the hind quarters to back it up. He picked up lots of doves and quail after that hunt, but no more ducks. I grew up with Brittneys and own one now. If you son in law likes a Britt as a pet, a Boykin would be at least as good of a choice.

JGorman, I just saw that you said you were "living" in Starkville. Don't want you're wife mad at me or you but I was thinking you were a college kid and I promise that curly furball was a 10-1 favorite over labs on campus back in the old days!
    Last edited by leemac; 04-03-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    "That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

leemac you're thinking right, I just got married and am trying to finish up at school (wrap it in maroon and white, if you will). While I'm sure he'll be a lady killer, Lord knows that's the last thing I need. I've about bitten off more than I can chew with the one cute little sorority girl I was lucky enough to snag... Don't need any more.

Waiing on a Brandwine pup myself. did lot of research. tHEY ARE A GREAT BREED.
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

never seen one, going to look them up good luck