The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill hillmann DVDs

Default Bill hillmann DVDs

I've got a pup coming and I've just got his DVD and wanting to know if anyone has had success with the DVD and did you follow it daily for the 28 days and what did u do after you progressed through the DVD. I mean what video next ?

Just so you are aware 28 days is not really 28 days. It is really 28 sessions spread out over several weeks. The dog in the video starts out at around 11 weeks of age and I think is around 5 1/2 months old when it is finished.

I am on my second pup following Hillman's puppy DVD. The video is 28 sessions spread out over several weeks. I am sold on Hillman's puppy DVD and follow it up with Fowl Dawgs after that.

I am using the hillman dvd right now with my 10 week old. I think it is great, just make sure you keep the dog excited. Once I figured out how to keep mine excited his learning picked up very quick
    Weasle

I used Hillman's puppy video. Outstanding results. It is the way I will train all of my future pups. I am now using Hillman's Retriever Training Fundamentals: Part 1, Land. I'm liking this too!

so 28 sessions and once you feel your dog is ready to move to the next session? i'm just curious as i'm bringing my pup home in a couple of weeks and want to have all my ducks in a row when it comes to training or at least as much as I can. lol

Quote Originally Posted by idhp27 View Post
    so 28 sessions and once you feel your dog is ready to move to the next session? i'm just curious as i'm bringing my pup home in a couple of weeks and want to have all my ducks in a row when it comes to training or at least as much as I can. lol
    If I understand it correctly each "session" is about 2-3 days apart. He says between those days the puppy is just relaxing being a family member. On the "days off" with my pup I still am taking him on walks to get him used to new surroundings and still playing fetch and have him drag a check cord around. But I don't stress walking on a line too much because he already likes to walk right at my feet. I want him to start ranging and exploring more. We still work on sitting inside, before he eats, goes outside, etc. etc.
    Christopher Nemitz

thanks for the info cn44. greatly appreciated

It depends on the dog (and handler), but they definitely are not literal days. Think of the days as mini projects. My Golden will be three months old on the ninth and his progress should not be compared with another breed or a dog of a different age. In fact, he should not be compared with any other dog or team. Just have fun!
    I have previously achieved the MH level twice (Hunter and Sweeper) using the whatever it takes method. I am being relatively faithful to the Training a Retriever Puppy system this time. Bill Hillmann is giving a seminar for our Presque Isle Club in June and Watson will be six months old by then. We may or may not have completed the course; but what's the hurry?
    Bob Samios
    Hillock's Hot on the Trail CGCA, JH, RE, BN OAP, OJP, WCX
    MACH Hillock's Bonny Broom CDX, RE, MH, XF, MXS, MJS, MXP, MJP, WCX, CCA, VCX, CGCA
    Hillock's Magical Forest Walk UD, RE, MH, MX, MXJ, MXP, MJP. WCX, VCX (2002-2011)

As a training DVD to follow the hillman DVD, I would HIGHLY recommend "The Wildrose Way" by Mike Stewart from Wildrose Kennels out of Oxford, MS. I have trained several dogs off this DVD. Only had to FF one dog out of 4, and never had to use an e-collar until extreme long distances get involved (mainly bc Im to lazy to walk out to correct the dog at those distances). Dogs seem to become eager to perform perfectly since they are trained to know that if they do not perform without flaw they will not get to make the retrieve. Plus its A LOT cheaper than some of the other DVD's which people recommend.