The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I run a jr and sr on the same day?

I'd figured he'd work out that kink as you stretch him out.

I do know he won't move when you tell him to stay, even when other dogs are running around.

Cutting the corner of the pond is a good thought. did you have any luck finding a description of swim-by? There should be some good descriptions and discussions on here.

I have to spend some time on the tractor this weekend, but if I get some time, maybe we can meet up for a bit.
    Chuck

Yeah.
    He sits where i place him and walk out, throw at least 2 bumpers or frozen ducks in different directs, then walk around off to one side with aother hidden to him, and drop it without him seeing where.
    I get back and send him for the 2nd thrown, then the first.
    He has a great memory.
    Then i line him for the secretly dropped one, and send him. He is doing alot better at not popping going for the blind now.
    He is getting past knowing just how far i can throw a bumper.
    That's why i am confident i can get him ready in a month.
    We work everyday.

Yeah chuck, the kink is going away.
    No. I guess i gotta look what that is up.

To all reading this,
    I am very new to this training stuff and try to read and watch videos as much as i can. I do have trt, and need to make time to get into the dvd's.
    I know i am most likely making mistakes, but trap is my buddy and hunting dog first, doggie gamer second.
    If he gets my ducks and geese, that's the main focus.
    I hunt moving water, so when sent on a line the current carries him down stream. I began sending him on a line further up, so when he gets across, he is about where the bird is.
    A few handles, and he is there.
    In doggie games and land retrieves it may confuse him to run the line and there is a bird, vs taking a line in the river and getting moved off it, and having to be handled to the bird.
    Same as compensating for the current and coming ashore different than the line and the bird being off his taken line.

Hunting is way different in uncontrolled conditions, vs controlled conditions in doggie games.
    Take a real hunting blind retrieve.
    Bird goes down over there In the trees or whatever. Are you positive exactly where it is during the shooting frenzy?
    I think not. There is no flagging or marker to say it is here.
    One has to get the dog to the area, then let him use his nose to find it.

I am training to hunt, not games. Game training helps with hunting, but gaming doesn't replicate true hunting situations.
    Just my thoughts on this.
    Same as running the bank. I can't expect a dog to take a straight line back against the current.
    Get to shore down stream buddy and come up the bank.
    Are dogs supposed to swim back in a line in doggie games?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Yeah chuck, the kink is going away.
    No. I guess i gotta look what that is up.

To all reading this,
    I am very new to this training stuff and try to read and watch videos as much as i can. I do have trt, and need to make time to get into the dvd's.
    I know i am most likely making mistakes, but trap is my buddy and hunting dog first, doggie gamer second.
    If he gets my ducks and geese, that's the main focus.
    I hunt moving water, so when sent on a line the current carries him down stream. I began sending him on a line further up, so when he gets across, he is about where the bird is.
    A few handles, and he is there.
    In doggie games and land retrieves it may confuse him to run the line and there is a bird, vs taking a line in the river and getting moved off it, and having to be handled to the bird.
    Same as compensating for the current and coming ashore different than the line and the bird being off his taken line.

Hunting is way different in uncontrolled conditions, vs controlled conditions in doggie games.
    Take a real hunting blind retrieve.
    Bird goes down over there In the trees or whatever. Are you positive exactly where it is during the shooting frenzy?
    I think not. There is no flagging or marker to say it is here.
    One has to get the dog to the area, then let him use his nose to find it.

I am training to hunt, not games. Game training helps with hunting, but gaming doesn't replicate true hunting situations.
    Just my thoughts on this.
    Same as running the bank. I can't expect a dog to take a straight line back against the current.
    Get to shore down stream buddy and come up the bank.
    Are dogs supposed to swim back in a line in doggie games?
    Mark - get it. Hunt tests aren't hunting and hunting aren't hunt tests. The difference (personally) is that discipline and performance at the senior and master level let you train for about any hunting scenario with minor modification. It's not true in reverse.

Hunting - I'll send the dog on a blind and unless I can see it (bird) will generally run the dog to the Area of fall and release to hunt. But getting the dog where I want it, to do that, came from test training.

If the dog is on a long water mark and taking a straight line back - test training gives me the ability to keep the straight line back or handle to shore if that's the better option.

There are plenty that hunt there test dogs and don't hunt 'em like they run a test.

If you want to run senior go ahead but I don't think based on what you've said - the dog is ready to pass. And again - it's not just you (and your dog) in a senior test but I might be more considerate than some when it comes to boogering the working dog in an honor.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Chuck can attest to his obeying. He wot break.

That's good. You jinxed yourself but that's on you.

I hope you do well. And since he won't break - might as well run those last two juniors without pinching your dogs neck.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Chuck can attest to his obeying. He wot break.
    Wide
    Open
    Throttle.

I'll bring him to the line collarless, but have a slight pinch hold on his neck just to use the rules in my favor.
    I have no training group, all advanced training done alone, and thru about 70 days of hunting this season.
    He is steady, and honors. He will stay where i put him, and no amount of coaxing from anyone will get him to move.
    I've read the rules on Sr, and feel we can give it a go.
    I am just unsure how it works with the walk up. Can we stop on the way to the line so trap can watch the first bird or do we have to keeping moving to the line, so it is a moving mark?
    Lots of not knowing what to do's.
    Watched alot of videos on YouTube, but still lots of unsure's.
    Mark, run your dog in both, if you don't pass the senior it will give you valuable experience for next fall. Most of all enjoy it!

I didn't read through all the posts so maybe you answered this already....

But WHY? You said you're not in it for the games, you're in it to hunt. And even if you were in it for the games, i don't see the positives that can come from this.

I guess it's a self test.
    I wanna see how well i trained and to see what i need to do to make him a better hunting partner.
    With the doggie games i have an idea what to do now, instead of this fall and trying to hunt and train for something i don't know about til then.

And smart phones have to be watch for the words IT thinks you are trying to type, spelling nazi.
    Here's trap doing a 200 yard blind, across the sage, thru the wash, and back out thru the sage.

Cropped.

Coming back out of the wash.

Doing way better chuck. Even held his line going down and out of the wash.