The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I run a jr and sr on the same day?

you may talk while lining up for a bling retrieve
    a pop is not an instant fail, but judges will make note on the page.
    marshals will tell you what and when. make sure you watch the test dog.
    and a few dogs after run. when judges say any questions ASK!
    unless your that guy who runs our NAHRA tests who crys out
    "What is the capitol of Thiland" whenever judges say that.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

That'll work as the distraction shot will get him thinking there is another bird out there. Before i line him, i get him amp'd up by asking him where his duckie is and he responds better. The shot and me talking should help alot.
    Trap is a real mellow buddy. He only gets excited when we are training/hunting.
    He has a great on and off switch.

Provided your dog is READY to run the tests you enter ... and that is the key point, regardless how you do it ... and assuming you are looking to get the title the most cost efficient way, you can save a considerable chunk of change by double-staking.

Do the math. I figure a weekend to cost around $400 +/- (usually +). Of that, the entry fee accounts for a small portion; about 20% or less. Motels, food and fuel account for the most expense, by far. So if you can get 2 or 3 passes in one trip, you minimize the rest of the travel cost and at the same time, reduce the number of passes you need in the long run.

By double-staking SH/MH and finding tests offering multiple stakes in either, I put a MH on a dog by running only 4 weekend tests. Likewise, my current young dog has his Senior title after running only 3 tests, again by double-staking at tests offering multiple Jrs and/or Srs.

Again, you need to be prepared for the stakes you enter, but that that should be the case regardless.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Ssitting here at the fireplace on my phone and this is what i have.
    He is my shadow. Can't even go to the bathroom without him.

But have undivided attention hunting.
    Last edited by Mark Teahan; 04-03-2013 at 12:00 PM.

The hunt tests are about 20 miles from home.
    So not a major undertaking.
    Gonna haul my camper up and just hang out.
    Will have all my stay at home hubby stuff done, so i can take the weekend off. Wife wants to go hang out too and take pics.
    I don't want to travel distances to title, so i am just going to run when they are local.
    These doggie games are just for fun and to improve my hunting dog.
    Didn't want to do the games, got talked into it, and since trap has the intelligence to learn, might as well, and get a great hunting buddy out of it.
    Win/Win..
    Last edited by Mark Teahan; 04-03-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Didn't want to do the games, got talked into it, ..
    thats what we all said....
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Hmm Only problem I've see with double staking, is that it can be like giving cocaine to a crack addict. So many birds so much running, for most dogs the wheels can fall off in the control area, which you need for your Senior blinds etc. Most dogs in my experience make it through the first day OK but by the second, the crazies seem to come out. It's hard for many Master level dogs to hold it together multiple days-tests, senior level dogs usually have much less control. So the question is test pros vs. training cons. It's very dog specific, but usually by the last test the dog will be relying heavily on you to hold him together, not often times the best scenario for a SH-green trainer. Still a lot can be learned by both of you with the exposure. If I were to do it I'd probably run the JHs and sign up for one SH test. There's a lot of newness to running an SH, might be better to sort've get your feet wet, and not create as many problems to deal with later.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-03-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I was thinking of just doing a Sr on the second day, after running Jr first to get him fired up.
    Run the Jr land, then go Sr land, then after lunch, run Jr water, then Sr water.
    Day 1 would be just Jr.

Sounds like a good plan until you get there and find out your SH number is 2 and your Jr number 30. You will be expected to go to Senior first so they can keep moving with the honor. Of course if your dog is steady that might be the best way to run. Go to senior with honor first than Jr that you can hold. You stated before that you would run without a colar but pinch hold. NOPE sorry, you can not do that. Once you say you are ready you can no long touch or talk to the dog. You can lightly restrain by holding the colar not the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Might be the Captain Obvious in me but if you do I assume you'll run your Junior marks from the line as if in Senior? No restraint on marks, no lead to the line, collar-less?
    Why when you are after the title would you risk the dog breaking? I have seen that happen as a judge. I recommend you take every advantage the rule book allows you.
    Dick