RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Can I run a jr and sr on the same day?

9K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  JDogger 
#1 ·
Trap needs 2 more passes to get his jr title.
Was wondering if we can run a jr hunt test, then go over to the sr test and try for our first pass on the same day?
Trap is doing real well, and thought we'd give it a shot.
We both need some experience, and nothing to lose, but 70 bucks,
Or should we just wait til next fall and just watch and learn sr now?

Any helpful tips or thoughts?

#66 ·
lolololol....

Mark - with some more explanation the test dog should be one that can demonstrate to the handlers how the test should be run, to show what the test looks like run, and to validate a few things for the judges. Once you get junior nailed and running senior - run your dog as junior test dog if you want. There's usually quite long list of people in the club that want to exercise their dog as 'test dog' and generally that dog is chosen well in advance of test day.

#67 ·
I wouldn't run as a test dog if I didn't pretty well think the dog could already do the work, but other than that I don't think there's much wrong with it. Could show you something you need to work on without being under judgment and without spending $70 - $80. It's probably smarter on average to be the test dog one level down, but use your judgment on that.

For the contrary, I would not let my dog be the test dog for any of the Master National water stuff last year. He was not at that level, and it did not seem smart to me to give us opportunities to train in cheating.

Of course the guys who have encouraged me to do this only have a few FCs between them so they may not know what they are talking about.

#74 ·
Geez, and here I thought running as test dog may be a chance to give a strong verbal correction if Rover commits a cardinal sin and make him do it right in an authentic test atmosphere. :shock: Learn sumpin every day.

EVER is a long time regards,

JS

#76 ·
You'll do enough damage to your training, by running the tests that you have the option of passing. Pass, or fail, you are undoing your training.

There's no sense in running a test that you don't get squat from, even if your dog nails it.

#81 ·
and you don't get squat from spending a day tossing a nasty duck for 30 other dogs, so I'll never do that.
and you don't get squat from holding a clipboard and taking crap from sandbaggers, so I'll never do that.
and you dont get squat from sitting in the judges chair all day except the bus over you, so I'll never do that.

imagin if everyone was only out to get squat like copter here is?
we would never have any tests at all.
good thing a few folk choose to give back to the sport now and again.
Otherwise all any of us would have is squat!

#77 ·
Mark, if I can get off the tractor soon enough this weekend, we'll go do some stuff. I know Pepper will work for anyone because I let kids run her at Expo every summer, and with some encouragement I'll bet Bridger will too. So you can run my dogs and I'll stand behind you with a healing stick. But you are better off not running Trap in Senior till Fall.

Talk to you in the next day or two.

#78 ·
Good thing you replied Chuck! I was getting ready to call you and tell you to get out there and splan things to Mark. Heck you live in the same town!! :) As he said "real life" looks very different than the book or video version :) Good idea to let him run Pepper but it's training -- let him run Trap on a walk up double.

Mark--- we talked last fall on Sunday after everything was over. Sorry we will miss this spring tes but I'm sure you'll & Trap will do find in Jr. Have fun and go watch Senior. Meet up with Carol & Ralph are great people--- they can explain what's happening and give you they why and therefores.

Have fun!
Melis

#82 ·
Good thing you replied Chuck! I was getting ready to call you and tell you to get out there and splan things to Mark. Heck you live in the same town!! :) As he said "real life" looks very different than the book or video version :) Good idea to let him run Pepper but it's training -- let him run Trap on a walk up double.

Melis
It is training, you're right, Melissa, but for both of them! We struggle with having enough people to run a single, much less a walk up double.

You two will miss the test this spring? You going to Colorado?

#83 ·
Poor Mark! So many answers, all of them good.....sometimes ;)! Ralph and I will be there for a couple days. Training if nothing else. I was going to let Indy play in senior, but after this thread I figure I better not. He would probably make it to the honor where he might mess up the working dog with his antics. Then I thought I'd offer him as test dog, but now know he can't because he's "over qualified"! Scout is likely to go all chessie brat on me, so what's a person to do? Stay home? Oh well, I'll be there anyway Mark. Somebody wanna hand me a clipboard? :cool:

#84 ·
Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Trap will just finish Jr this go around.
Over the summer, hopefully with some help, and my own research, trap will get to a solid Sr level.
As he is now, he is a great hunting buddy, and that is all i had wanted from the get go.
This training and doggie games are for fun and to make him a better hunting dog, when we aren't killin birds.

#85 ·
I really appreciated everyone's replies, and to give a little more info.
Did some training yesterday with chuck and company and had a great time.
Trap is making great improvements with his confidence. He would have passed Sr with his performance yesterday.
To those that commented about honoring, trap was placed next to my truck (in the shade), in front and to the side of where the other dogs were running, while I was out throwing marks.
He never moved from his spot. So, no issues there.
Chuck told me to continue with what i was doing for there was an improvement in his performance from our last get together.

We are on our way to smoking Sr! !!

#87 ·
Time to quit agonizing: If you think your dog is ready just enter already :razz:

Copterdoc, I see your point. But some of us is skeered. Last year I liked being test dog because I was nervous, having never entered a test before. It was fun seeing my dog work without the stress of worrying about passing.

Handler Error regards...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.