The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I run a jr and sr on the same day?

Didn't know i couldn't touch him. Collar then!
    Not gonna risk it.....

You can double stake.

But, you will later wish you hadn't.
    Maybe not that day. Maybe not the next day.

But, one day you'll say to yourself; "Boy, that was a stupid thing to do."

HRC allows upland & started, Seasoned or finished on same day. You cannot run Started, seasoned or finished at same test

Quote Originally Posted by DickS View Post
    Why when you are after the title would you risk the dog breaking? I have seen that happen as a judge. I recommend you take every advantage the rule book allows you.
    As I stated earlier if you're going to run senior you should be able to and have confidence around the dogs ability to do it. I personally wouldn't make my 1st senior test much different from my junior run the same day. At 10:00 am I've got my hand on him for restraint at junior and at 12:00 pm I'm running the first test at senior without doing so - there's a difference for the dog. If that difference is a creep or break on the marks, well..I donated and learned touching the dog in Junior was a good idea. If my dog breaks as honor dog because my dog ain't ready for senior - I've screwed up someone elses test.

If you can't run a dog in junior like you're going to run a dog in senior - it ain't ready for senior. Again - in senior you can affect other people not just your own pass/fail. I'd be miffed if my senior test was broken down because the honor dog had never run a test without restraint at the line.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    As I stated earlier if you're going to run senior you should be able to and have confidence around the dogs ability to do it. I personally wouldn't make my 1st senior test much different from my junior run the same day. At 10:00 am I've got my hand on him for restraint at junior and at 12:00 pm I'm running the first test at senior without doing so - there's a difference for the dog. If that difference is a creep or break on the marks, well..I donated and learned touching the dog in Junior was a good idea. If my dog breaks as honor dog because my dog ain't ready for senior - I've screwed up someone elses test.

If you can't run a dog in junior like you're going to run a dog in senior - it ain't ready for senior. Again - in senior you can affect other people not just your own pass/fail. I'd be miffed if my senior test was broken down because the honor dog had never run a test without restraint at the line.
    Wouldn't a dog running its very first senior test likely be running a test without a collar for the first time? He's just come up from jr's, where he was running tests with a collar. Bam, he's running his first senior test, no collar.

We all got to start somewhere.

Honor dogs break in senior and master all the time. If the OP thinks his dog is steady and can run blinds, I say he should go for it! If senior doesn't pan out at least he has the Jr title.
    Renee P

Mark, the running order isn't a problem. You gotta know we'll work with you on that. You've never met Cutter, he's gone now for a couple years, but he and I ran Jr and Sr the same day at least three times. He was close to a Master dog but had never run in a test, and he was the only dog I had with me, so we ran Junior just to help fill up the day as we were getting through Senior. Not to mention he did like birds a little bit. Like Trap, he was the dog that never broke. So ask me about Cutter breaking during a Finished test in HRC -

Trap is steady enough, you are so right about that.

How is his popping coming along?
    Chuck

Thank you. Trap almost never wears a collar.
    If Im after his title, why not use the rules to my advantage?

I'm not suggesting he doesn't run. I'm suggesting there are factors he should consider.

I ran my last dog in junior holding the collar on the first and last test - not the 2nd and 3rd. I get it.

But didn't run senior until I knew the dog was ready to run senior.

As the OP indicates, he doesn't know exactly what a senior tests consists of outside the rule book. Doesn't train in groups, apprently has not trained in a senior mock set-up.

Doesn't mean the dog or handler will fail. It does mean I'd be cautious about making the transition, in a hunt test environment, without some experience doing it (his and the dogs).

The biggest risk is probably the honor break. Given that even the most experienced of dogs can break, especially if on a flyer, the odds for an inexperienced one will break are much higher. A. that can create a test issue most don't want to experience and B. if does effect the working dogs test.

I'd want to be faiulry certain I wasn't affecting someone else's test just to see what would happen with 'my' dog.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Going great.
    Going to Aztec pond soon as i get done with lunch.
    Gonna run blinds in the sage, and try water on the corner.
    I won't let him run the dirt around the corner, but have him swim a straight line from me to the frozen duck.

You know he won't move when i tell him stay.
    He listens real well.
    The popping is better since i started doing nothing but distance piles and blinds. Not perfect yet, but way better.
    This being laid off sure does training good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Going great.
    Going to Aztec pond soon as i get done with lunch.
    Gonna run blinds in the sage, and try water on the corner.
    I won't let him run the dirt around the corner, but have him swim a straight line from me to the frozen duck.

You know he won't move when i tell him stay.
    He listens real well.
    The popping is better since i started doing nothing but distance piles and blinds. Not perfect yet, but way better.
    This being laid off sure does training good!
    Have you practiced blinds with diversions? This is where the blinds are planted in the same field as the marks he just picked up.
    Renee P