The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I run a jr and sr on the same day?

I guess thinking about all this, Im not sure what Im doing! !
    I have my buddy and hunting partner, but i guess the hunt tests are something to prove to myself i am doing an okay job training trap to be a good hunting dog.
    If that makes sense?
    Yeah, I am new and apprehensive and unsure of what Im doing.

Its pretty warm and trap is cooling off in the pond while Im fishing.

And not cheating going for a duck left over there by the walk way.

Mark - if your dog took this line as shown about 200 yards I would skip Junior & Senior and run Master.

We shoot dogs with a Canon

I don't know what Im getting into with all this?
    It wasn't that straight because of the 6 foot steep sides. He came out further down and 2 handles, one over right and one left back. I sent him a bit left of the duck so he could smell it in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    I don't know what Im getting into with all this?
    It wasn't that straight because of the 6 foot steep sides. He came out further down and 2 handles, one over right and one left back. I sent him a bit left of the duck so he could smell it in the wind.
    Exactly what I would do hunting. It would fail you in a test.

This is what i mean by being unsure what Im doing/getting into.
    I'll just run him in junior and watch the Sr and masters for 2 days so i can get a small grasp on what's going on.
    Reading rules and watching videos helps, but real life tells the whole story.

Mark, I wish we could train together before the entry deadline. I can show you some Senior type blinds with my dogs, they do great in training! But due to work can't get there until the Thursday before. I will tell you that I can see very little reason to enter senior until you have seen it, tried it and are satisfied with your dog's and your understanding. I don't see you as the type of guy who is in a rush for the title. You do it for fun and to advance your dog. So take your time and enjoy it all.

BTW, have you gotten the snake vaccine for your dog? That picture above shows the kind of terrain that my vet told me is responsible for 95% of their rattlesnake bite cases. Your area may be better, but my vet treated 10 snake bites last year.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    This is what i mean by being unsure what Im doing/getting into.
    I'll just run him in junior and watch the Sr and masters for 2 days so i can get a small grasp on what's going on.
    Reading rules and watching videos helps, but real life tells the whole story.
    Yes sir it does. And please don't think I am picking on you. It'd be easier to tell you "what the heck - go for it" but there is much to be said about running tests a level below (not ahead) of your dogs ability (and yours).

No big deal throwing away 70 bucks or spending money without a ribbon. Those aren't the downsides. The downsides are confusing your dog, pulling a dog from the field, allowing behavior in a test that is detrimental to their experience in a test or at the line, potentially breaking on someone else's working dog, potentially breaking on their own birds due to excitement or a poor queue from you, etc.

People and dogs fail tests all the time. When you do, it should be the abnormal circumstance rather than being premature in running it. IMO.

I take it constructively. Thank you.

I brought home several bullsnakes last summer and let trap deal with a mad 6 footer. He got close enough for a sniff and a missed strike and wouldn't go near it again. Now stepping on one while running is a different story.

There aren't too many rattles around here, so it might be rare to encounter one. I've never seen one while out playing. Ran over a few out in the patch tho.

Mark - I admire the enthusiasm as well as your notion of (and training) for tests as a measurement of your dog training (and dog). Especially given your primary goal is hunting. Many blow off testing as people being ribbon happy.

Sounds like you're solid on Junior and headed to senior level work. Enjoy the final passes on junior and run senior with the same confidence after you see what you'll be running and have a better idea what to train for.

Thank you. We will try to do our best.