The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Can I run a jr and sr on the same day?

Another thought for you, Mark. Since you said you live near the grounds where the hunt test will be held, maybe you could ask someone in the club if you could run your dog as test dog for senior (after you offered to help at the test, of course!). That would let you try him on a senior set up without the worry of being under judgment.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Sounds like an idea.
    Have to look into it.
    Thanks.

Don't EVER run as test dog.

Bye dog, is just fine. Your dog stays on lead, watches the marks, the working dog goes and gets them, and you go back to the truck.

Nothing good comes from running as test dog.

I agree. Never run a test dog.
    Chase perfection and accept excellence- Vince Lombardi

Okay. Won't look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Okay. Won't look into it.
    lolololol....

Mark - with some more explanation the test dog should be one that can demonstrate to the handlers how the test should be run, to show what the test looks like run, and to validate a few things for the judges. Once you get junior nailed and running senior - run your dog as junior test dog if you want. There's usually quite long list of people in the club that want to exercise their dog as 'test dog' and generally that dog is chosen well in advance of test day.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I wouldn't run as a test dog if I didn't pretty well think the dog could already do the work, but other than that I don't think there's much wrong with it. Could show you something you need to work on without being under judgment and without spending $70 - $80. It's probably smarter on average to be the test dog one level down, but use your judgment on that.

For the contrary, I would not let my dog be the test dog for any of the Master National water stuff last year. He was not at that level, and it did not seem smart to me to give us opportunities to train in cheating.

Of course the guys who have encouraged me to do this only have a few FCs between them so they may not know what they are talking about.

I don't care if your dog is screwed down so tight, that his fingernails are threaded. Don't EVER run as test dog!

what I thought of while at work. don't know how well you know the club or if you are a member or anything
    BUT
    does senior need a test dog?
    they can be hard to find.
    just a thought.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ha Ha Ha didn't even read above till I posted.
    Heck guys, some folk make a livin' runnin' test dog!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin