The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Golden retriever training

Default New to Golden retriever training

I'm new to the forum and new to dog training. I recently bought a golden pup who is now 12 weeks and have just been working on obedience and introducing her to feathers. Ive read a lot about training and have seen different things about the dogs pedigree and being breed for hunting which she is not from ones breed for hunting. Has anyone tried training them for hunting that's not from a breeding line? Also any other tips or advice would be great! I've been using Tom dokkens book and videos.

Thanks,
    adam

I've trained quite a few of them. My current gundog is a Golden, and is doing very well. My best advice is to forget stereotypes, and just train him. Get a solid program, learn it, and follow it. And take your time.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

You will do just fine.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I've trained a few Goldens that didn't come from field lines and they did very well in Hunt tests and hunting. If you ever want to train with someone I train over in Lorain County from time to time. Shoot me a PM.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

I'm currently following Tom Dokken with my Lab pup - 6 mos. Stick with the program, take your time, have fun !
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

I'm formally from southern Lorain County and have had goldens since 1972. Was curious about your breeder and the pedigree. I have a half-serious quote for my clients to explain my affection for the breed. "I train labs and shorthairs for a living but my personal gundog will always be a golden". May you enjoy your future with your pup as much as I have with mine. mike

Quote Originally Posted by medic09 View Post
    I'm new to the forum and new to dog training. I recently bought a golden pup who is now 12 weeks and have just been working on obedience and introducing her to feathers. Ive read a lot about training and have seen different things about the dogs pedigree and being breed for hunting which she is not from ones breed for hunting. Has anyone tried training them for hunting that's not from a breeding line? Also any other tips or advice would be great! I've been using Tom dokkens book and videos.

Thanks,
    adam
    Hi Adam,

Don't forget to keep it fun and keep the dog engaged. Short attention spans and limited stamina at 12 weeks, so keep training sessions relatively short and, if you can, a couple of times a day. Intro to guns and birds should be gradual. Had a great hunting Golden from show lines myself.
    Mark

I echo the take your time and keep it fun. One thing I have found common among all Goldens is you need to keep up with them. They get bored and are always looking for someting new and different. Try to work that into your training.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by opeongo View Post
    I'm formally from southern Lorain County and have had goldens since 1972. Was curious about your breeder and the pedigree. I have a half-serious quote for my clients to explain my affection for the breed. "I train labs and shorthairs for a living but my personal gundog will always be a golden". May you enjoy your future with your pup as much as I have with mine. mike
    I don't even know you, and I like you already
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I am working with my 6th Golden now...my first one was not 'field bred' and she was a very good gun dog. Most retievers will have the ability to be a very good field dog if trained properly. Getting a field bred dog only increases your odds of getting a high energy (style) dog which is desirable for field competative dogs. It also increases your chances on their 'nose' and a few other traits that are desirable in hunting dogs. That being said, most retrievers can be great gun dogs if trained properly...at least that has been what I have learned about these wonderful dogs.... They are only limited by those who train them!