RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New to Golden retriever training

6K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Evan 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum and new to dog training. I recently bought a golden pup who is now 12 weeks and have just been working on obedience and introducing her to feathers. Ive read a lot about training and have seen different things about the dogs pedigree and being breed for hunting which she is not from ones breed for hunting. Has anyone tried training them for hunting that's not from a breeding line? Also any other tips or advice would be great! I've been using Tom dokkens book and videos.

Thanks,
adam

#2 ·
I've trained quite a few of them. My current gundog is a Golden, and is doing very well. My best advice is to forget stereotypes, and just train him. Get a solid program, learn it, and follow it. And take your time.

Evan

#4 ·
I've trained a few Goldens that didn't come from field lines and they did very well in Hunt tests and hunting. If you ever want to train with someone I train over in Lorain County from time to time. Shoot me a PM.

#6 ·
I'm formally from southern Lorain County and have had goldens since 1972. Was curious about your breeder and the pedigree. I have a half-serious quote for my clients to explain my affection for the breed. "I train labs and shorthairs for a living but my personal gundog will always be a golden". May you enjoy your future with your pup as much as I have with mine. mike

#7 ·
Hi Adam,

Don't forget to keep it fun and keep the dog engaged. Short attention spans and limited stamina at 12 weeks, so keep training sessions relatively short and, if you can, a couple of times a day. Intro to guns and birds should be gradual. Had a great hunting Golden from show lines myself.

#8 ·
I echo the take your time and keep it fun. One thing I have found common among all Goldens is you need to keep up with them. They get bored and are always looking for someting new and different. Try to work that into your training.

#10 ·
I am working with my 6th Golden now...my first one was not 'field bred' and she was a very good gun dog. Most retievers will have the ability to be a very good field dog if trained properly. Getting a field bred dog only increases your odds of getting a high energy (style) dog which is desirable for field competative dogs. It also increases your chances on their 'nose' and a few other traits that are desirable in hunting dogs. That being said, most retrievers can be great gun dogs if trained properly...at least that has been what I have learned about these wonderful dogs....;-) They are only limited by those who train them!:confused:

#17 ·
Good luck with your Golden pup, they are wonderful dogs. Mine is a rescue and he has hunted upland and waterfowl. I run hunt tests with him and he does very well. The program that I follow is Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy. Its a nice step by step program that is easy to follow, adding some help from a local club you can achieve a fine gundog.

p.s believe in your dog and it will believe in you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.