The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pond

Default New pond

Finally got started on my new teaching tech pond. Just pushing dirt to make the dam. Points will be added once the dam is built. It's going to be small but it's all I could do with the spot available. Will update pics as we progress.

yes please keep us up dated with pics, Im about to build one myself

Going to look someting like this.

You couldn't make a swim-by area in that???
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

kendall,
    if i did swimby with my dogs....i would do it in the lower left hand corner of the drawing. i think i could make my center line to pile go from the bank in the lower left, square and out to the point. then you could send left and right to the banks on both sides of that little "neck of the pond".

how do you see it?
    john mccallie

I don't know the scale involved, but couldn't you do swimby at the bottom end? Force to the island and over to the right and left from the end?

Or if the pond is smallish, run from the right side of the pond a little nearer the top than the middle. Force to that hooked point on the left. Overs would be the entire length of the pond from there. It would be a little more complicated than I'd like for swim by but I think I could get through it fine with a pup. I've never incorporated an island in swimby before, but, I think, I'd teach them the island was OK to beach on as long as they got straight back into the water and out the end. I think swim by would take another couple of days doing it that way but I think it would turn out fine.

OK Labman, I'm ready for my invite. I've got a point drill figured out that I want to repeat every day for a week.
    Last edited by Howard N; 04-03-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    kendall,
    if i did swimby with my dogs....i would do it in the lower left hand corner of the drawing. i think i could make my center line to pile go from the bank in the lower left, square and out to the point. then you could send left and right to the banks on both sides of that little "neck of the pond".

how do you see it?
    I was eyeing that right-hand near 4 o'clock postion square. Howard's idea would probably work too.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

I see what your saying Duck, I could bring that L point out a little more and use that but I already have a seperate swim by pond up by the kennel I had built last yr so didn't worry about making that into this one. I now have small pattern field behind the kennel and a swim by pond in front of the kennel and about 3 to 4 arces that I plant in milo strips between the house and this new pond to throw land marks. I wish I had enough room to run pattern blinds and I'd be set. Would only have to leave home to run big stuff and do something different once in a while. I mainly train young dogs anyway so this is working out great for me.

Any time Howard, or anyone else. I have a separate garage apt/guest house for people to stay in.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I don't know the scale involved, but couldn't you do swimby at the bottom end? Force to the island and over to the right and left from the end?

Or if the pond is smallish, run from the right side of the pond a little nearer the top than the middle. Force to that hooked point on the left. Overs would be the entire length of the pond from there. It would be a little more complicated than I'd like for swim by but I think I could get through it fine with a pup. I've never incorporated an island in swimby before, but, I think, I'd teach them the island was OK to beach on as long as they got straight back into the water and out the end. I think swim by would take another couple of days doing it that way but I think it would turn out fine.

OK Labman, I'm ready for my invite. I've got a point drill figured out that I want to repeat every day for a week.

How big is the new pond going to be?