RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

no ammo.

14K views 78 replies 37 participants last post by  mudd 
#1 ·
was in at army supplus this am. they told me your ammo buying is over. dept. hls is buying it up as fast as its being made. when the manurfactors have orders hls puts in new order. they told me there will also be no orders for rifles.

just reporting what they gave me. hope this is wrong but not loking good.
may some of u guys have some better news.
seems hls has first call on all ammo.

#2 ·
English please?

#4 ·
Did he understand his question or yours?

his here hasn't found any ammo now for quite some time.

His is beginning to believe government is using tax payer money to keep ammo out of goosers(his) hands.
gonna get ugly soon.

#7 ·
Clue Gooser in on your top secret search technique for some 9mm, or I'd even settle for some small pistol primers.

Let a brother in on your secret.

Gooser

#11 · (Edited)
BPS here has all the shotgun ammo you could want except 00 and slugs. Plenty of rifle other than 5.56 and .22. I got two boxes of RMC 9mm just because they had it. Plenty of 45, 357, 38, and 40.
The Walmart here is hit and miss. I have seen he shelves full and empty in the past couple months. Always have hunting rounds (30-06, 270, 30-30). They actually had three AR type rifles in 5.56 and a couple 22's last weekend. More times than not they have at least a little of something. A month ago it was worse.
The government ain't buying it to keep it from you. There was a major run on everything after sandy hook and with the gun control scare. Depending on where you live it is going to take a while to see it fully stocked again. Do you believe for a minute that manufactures are not running around the clock trying to pump it out? They are all about money and they can sell everything they make. They are chomping at the bit to get it out as fast as they can.
components are going to take longer in my opinion because they are more worried about ammo than selling primers and powder.

#12 ·
BPS here has all the shotgun ammo you could want except 00 and slugs. Plenty of rifle other than 5.56 and .22. I got two boxes of RMC 9mm just because they had it. Plenty of 45, 357, 38, and 40.
The Walmart here is hit and miss. I have seen he shelves full and empty in the past couple months. Always have hunting rounds (30-06, 270, 30-30). They actually had three AR type rifles in 5.56 and a couple 22's.
the government ain't buying it to keep it from you. There was a major run on everything after sandy hook and with the gun control scare. Depending on where you live it is going to take a while to see it fully stocked again. Do you believe for a minute that manufactures are not running around the clock trying to pump it out? They are all about money and they can sell everything they make. They are chomping at the bit to get it out as fast as they can.
What is their reason for needing millions of rounds more than ever before stockpiled for all these various agencies?

#14 ·
Not saying there isn't suspicious buying by the gov't, but for the ammo shortage you need to look at your neighbors. The ammo shortage has been due to hoarding. I have friends that have 20k rounds of .22 LR, not to mention their larger stuff. I talked to local dealer and he said the manufactures are running at full capacity but the stores can't keep it on the shelves.

#18 ·
Here are the Walmarts in Indiana that currently have 9mm. "Limited" means less than 5 boxes.

Federal Champion 9mm GMJ 100pk
StoreAddressCityStateZipcodeStatusSince
Monticello 27711088 W Broadway StMonticelloIN47960In stock03-Apr-2013 02:28:30
Indianapolis 14597245 Us 31 SIndianapolisIN46227Limited stock 03-Apr-2013 16:19:36
Indianapolis 158010617 E Washington StIndianapolisIN46229Limited stock 03-Apr-2013 16:19:32
Elkhart 439930830 Old Us 20ElkhartIN46514Limited stock 03-Apr-2013 02:28:43
Warsaw 13042501 Walton BlvdWarsawIN46582Limited stock 03-Apr-2013 16:19:46
South Bend 3436700 W Ireland RdSouth BendIN46614Limited stock 03-Apr-2013 16:19:44
Fort Wayne 502510420 Maysville RdFort WayneIN46835Limited stock 03-Apr-2013 16:13:41
New Castle 17583167 S State Road 3New CastleIN47362Limited stock

#21 ·
Bear in mind that Wally World is having a huge problem nationwide putting anything on the shelves. Lots and lots of stuff in the back but too few employees to keep the checkouts manned and stock the shelves.

Around here I haven't noticed a shortage of anything I need to buy. Except for the Zombie Max loads. If ZA day comes, I am hosed.

#24 ·
I make the rounds of local stores regularly. I stand in line at Gander Mountain on truck mornings.
.22 LR invisible
.223 close to invisible
9 mm hard to find
40 hit and miss
45 hit and miss

Whenever I find ammo in bulk, I buy it, whether I need it or not.

#30 ·
I work for the #1 firearm dealer in America. My buyers have been told by the Manufacturs that they are only operating at 70 percent. Homeland security is not buying it all up. Without going into a long detail that's all I am willing to type. Also if people would stop hoarding it when they find ammo on the shelf then more people could buy some. Just saying.

#31 ·
My buyers have been told by the Manufacturs that they are only operating at 70 percent.
That makes absolutely no sense. With the demand as it is, why are manufacturers only operating at 70%?

#33 ·
People are clamoring for more than they would normally buy for a couple of reasons, one of which is the shortage has people hesitant to practice with and shoot up what they have, creating the perception that they need a buffer of ammo between what they generally keep and what they're are willing to blast away. The lack of trust in BHO is the second factor.

#34 ·

Or you could live in Colorado, where the legislature has no prohibited the transfer or sale of 15+ round magazines. It isn't paranoia, if they really are after you.

#42 ·
I have a guy at the wal-mart I shop at. He told me that they, almost always, have ammo in the stock room. They just limit what they put out so that the first guy that comes in doesn't clean them out. They do this because they are not receiving any more than usual even though the demand has risen.

#44 ·
That makes absolutely no sense.

They aren't making money in the stock room. They're making it at the register. And the register doesn't care if 200 boxes were bought by one guy, or 100 guys.

#47 ·
The Walmart stores in the Metro Denver area limit customers to three​ boxes of ammunition per day.

#48 ·
I'm plant manager for starline brass, we are running 24 hr 6 days a week. We are trying to build machinery as fast as we can. We produced 13 million cases last month. We are over 70 million back order. Basically we are sold out untill the end of the year. We can't take back order any more, because we can only hold credit cards numbers over 30 days. The federal goverment has not bought one piece of it, that I know of. A small amount could be loaded for city law inforcement agents.

I do know the good old boys are nervous, with everything thats going on.

If you need shells and blanks for test and trials, better get started looking early.

#50 ·
The government buying it all up is tin foil hat stuff. I know of people who have stocked more than they should need in their lifetime. I am sure that there are millions like them. I know a guy who owns a gunship. He says that cannot keep anything on the shelf, the loons just keep coming back for more. He is trying to bank what he is making on the hysteria, he figures it can't last forever and someday sales have to crater. Personally I figure if I have a case of shotgun shells and a box of what my pistols and rifles use, I'm good.

#51 ·
The government buying it all up is tin foil hat stuff. I know of people who have stocked more than they should need in their lifetime. I am sure that there are millions like them. I know a guy who owns a gunship. He says that cannot keep anything on the shelf, the loons just keep coming back for more. He is trying to bank what he is making on the hysteria, he figures it can't last forever and someday sales have to crater. Personally I figure if I have a case of shotgun shells and a box of what my pistols and rifles use, I'm good.
You know a guy that owns a gunship?

Can I be your friend?

#54 ·
[QUOTEThat makes absolutely no sense.

They aren't making money in the stock room. They're making it at the register. And the register doesn't care if 200 boxes were bought by one guy, or 100 guys.][/QUOTE]

That's not true. I went in to a large gun shop and they limited my purchases to 1 box of what ever item I needed. His reasoning was to save some for the next guy. OH it was a box of 209 primers

#56 · (Edited)
In the past when I shot clays somewhat seriously, 200 rounds in one afternoon was just a normal practice day...
I have shot as many as 400...

I would do this 4 times amonth.

800 rounds minimum.

Buzz,, does it make me a "Loon" because I purchase wads in 10,000 qty, and primers the same? Lead by hundreads of pounds?I get a BIG price break! Am I a Hoarder?, a Prepper? or do I just enjoy a Sport? A Sport I have enjoyed for a LONG LONG TIME...
From smart purchases I have made in the past, based on those prices,, I can still load a box of "Trap" loads for less than 3.00 a box!! Can YOU get that price??
Am I a LOON because of that??

Even with the fact of me purchasing the components to reload pistol ammo,,, purchasing ALL the components at VERY inflated PRICES,, I can still load 9mm pistol ammo for about .15 cents a piece... SOME factory ammo, EVEN IF YOU BY IN PRICE REDUCED BULK QTY, run about .75 cents a piece..
Am I a KOOK cause I try and by BRASS in large QTY, to get a price break? By the bullets precision Cast in qty of 2000 to get a price break??
Again, buy PRIMERS in QTY?? I am a KOOK cause of this???

If you ask me,, Folk purchasing FACTORY ammo at these inflated prices right now, are the Kooky ones..I will say, I have been influenced to by ammo, if I can find it.. I CANT FIND IT!!!!!! ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! NO .22's. NO 9MM, NO .223..... NONE!!

I have been given contacts through this board to get some,, but it is very difficult,, and time consuming..

Gooser

#57 ·
In the past when I shot clays somewhat seriously, 200 rounds in one afternoon was just a normal practice day...
I have shot as many as 400...

I would do this 4 times amonth.

800 rounds minimum.

Buzz,, does it make me a "Loon" because I purchase wads in 10,000 qty, and primers the same? Lead by hundreads of pounds?I get a BIG price break! Am I a Hoarder?, a Prepper? or do I just enjoy a Sport? A Sport I have enjoyed for a LONG LONG TIME...
From smart purchases I have made in the past, based on those prices,, I can still load a box of "Trap" loads for less than 3.00 a box!! Can YOU get that price??
Am I a LOON because of that??

Even with the fact of me purchasing the components to reload pistol ammo,,, purchasing ALL the components at VERY inflated PRICES,, I can still load 9mm pistol ammo fo about .15 cents a piece... SOME factory ammo, EVEN IF YOU BY IN PRICE REDUCED BULK QTY, run about .75 cents a piece..
Am I a KOOK cause I try and by BRASS in large QTY, to get a price break? By the bullets precision Cast in qty of 2000 to get a price break??
Again, by PRIMERS in QTY?? I am a KOOK cause of this???

If you ask me,, Folk purchasing FACTORY ammo at these inflated prices right now, are the Kooky ones..I will say, I have been influenced to by ammo, if I can find it.. I CANT FIND IT!!!!!! ANYWHERE!!!!!!!! NO .22's. NO 9MM, NO .223..... NONE!!

I have been given contacts through this board to get some,, but it is very difficult,, and time consuming..

Gooser

It is not uncommon for each of the members of my club to buy 30 flats (cases) of trap loads at a time---cheap stuff. A single day of shooting can be 300 or more targets depending on what events you shoot and how much time you want to spend at the practice trap. I have also bought quantities such as you.

If you are a loon, then so am I. I guess I am in good company.

#65 ·
we have a pawn and gun shop and cant get anything unless willing to pay INFLATED prices which in turn makes our customers think its US thats gouging when its not Im no crazy conspiracy theorist but why does NOAA(the weather people) and SS need millions of rounds when they have never needed one single round since their inception?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.