The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Esbilac or powdered goat's milk ?

Default Esbilac or powdered goat's milk ?

We have a litter due in a few weeks. We have used Esbilac in the past as a milk supplement when the litter was large (12). Have also been told that powdered goat's milk can be used and is much cheaper than Esbilac.

Have any of you used powdered goat's milk or some other product besides Esbilac as a milk supplement ?

Helen

I've used a formula made of goats milk & yogurt that worked pretty well. Found it on the Leerburg site, click here.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I've used a formula made of goats milk & yogurt that worked pretty well. Found it on the Leerburg site, click here.
    Thanks so much for your fast reply and for sending me to the Leerburg site. What an excellent site it is. I don't anticipate problems with this upcoming litter, but I like to be prepared by having milk supplement on hand just in case. I'll be shopping for goats milk.

I used goat milk, yogurt, a squirt of Karo, and starting after about a week adding a small amount of ground puppy food, gradually adding puppy food as they got older. The transitioned to the pan easier than any litter I've ever had and looked better than the bitch's last two litters that she raised on her own. She had basically no milk for the first week after the c-section and 9 puppies. She always had 9-11 puppies.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

My mom and dad raise Brittneys. They've only had two litters, and the second (a repeat) produced 12 pups, one being still born. Kate got behind on feeding this mob rather quickly and our vet got my mom to start supplementing with a milk replacment formula (I don't remember the brand) and then she switched to a goat milk formula like mentioned here. The pups thrived.

At around five weeks the runt that my mom and my son had named "Baby Girl" got sick. My mother took her in from the whelping room onto her sun porch and proceded to feed her pedialite with a medicine dropper for four days before she began to rebound. The rest of the litter started acting puny at around 39-40 days. Our vet decided it was a bug and didn't give them their six week shot including parvo on their six week birthday. They got worse and the next day mom was back with ten pups, minus Baby Girl at the vets office. Testing revieled parvo-virus. Our vet said that he had never seen or heard of pups so young getting the virus, as the mothers antibodies should protect them. Needless to say after a gut wrenching week only three of the babies made it home to rejoin Baby Girl. We are pretty sure an unknowing person on the waiting list that stopped by for a visit introduced the virus to the litter.

I know supplementing mama is necesary but can it affect immunity if you over supplement? Is there anything that can boost what they get from mom other than their normal puppy shots? I don't want anyone to go through what my mom and the five year old son did.
    "That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

Esbilac is far superior to goats milk. Ruminant animals have much different nutritional content in their milk. Go on eBay and get a 5 lb bag of Esbilac shipped for about 60 bucks. I have a litter on it now and would use nothing else. Goat milk also doesn't have DHA. Supplementing a bitch will not dilute her antibodies passed to the pups. Almost all initial immunity in a pups life is delivered in the first 12 hours via colostrum from the bitch anyhow.