The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not retrieving any more

Default not retrieving any more

My dog has been through teething and she's 6 and a half months old. she will sit and stay but runs off with the bumper. I am extremly fed up with this crap. One day she's good and the next she isn't. And the whole week hasn't been good. The doctor says she may be coming into heat soon and could this affect why she's doing this? Sometimes she won't even pick up the bumper and if she does she grabs it by the throw rope. I'm having the hardest time please help.

I was just asking about you! You ever hook up with any other trainers down there?
    Bill Davis

1. Relax, the dog is young
    2.Get a Program and follow it through. (Smartworks, Lardys, Duck Dog Basics)
    3. Make it fun
    4. Make it fun
    5. Make it fun

Are you following a training program? If so which one? This will help establish a baseline so that people can help. Without some background on your dog it will be hard to help. Your vet may be right. Have you noticed any spotting?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Y'all remember woodducks? He's 14 and a duck hunting fanatic. Last I heard, he did not have any training partners yet, but was working on it... Don't know about programs either. How about it woodducks?
    Bill Davis

I have both duck dog basics and watch them once a weekto make sure I'm doing it right. I have realized that if I start by throwing short retrieves shell get it and bring it back just like she's supposd to do. And ill graddually increase distance of the retrieve until its about 50 yards. If she messes up and won't bring it back ill shorten it up and she does great that way.

She will blind retrieve do doubles and singles and water marks

Woodducks....what you have on your hands, is a teenager that has figured out she doesn't have to obey you if she doesn't feel like it. Time to get more formal with her obedience, specifically on the recall. Since you already know your pup loves to retrieve, it's time to put that aside for now and put her in a training program starting with formal obedience on sit, here, heel, etc. Once she has these solid, especially the recall, you can move on to hold and put her through a force fetch program, during which you'll reintroduce retrieves. Timing should be great for you to have a polished little duck dog by opening day this fall. Sounds like you're in an area where you could meet up with some other hunters that can help you through the formal program.

Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Slow down. Don't test the dog, train the dog. Quit while she is still interested and going all out. These were all HARD lessons for me.

Good advise above by knowledgeable folks! A check cord is your and your dogs best friend!
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?