The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: not retrieving any more

Quote Originally Posted by woodducks View Post
    She will blind retrieve do doubles and singles and water marks
    All this, but she won't come back, whistle trained I assume if your doing blinds , and she does doubles?? Something isn't adding up??
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Are you consistent on your training? Maybe one day you let him/her do one thing and the next day you don't.

Put her in her outside kennel for a couple- 4 days and only interact with her to feed and water her. It will help her want to retrieve/interact with you and also give you a break, half the problem may be you putting to much mental pressure on her and you without realizing it.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")

You need to go back to the beginning of training and start over from square one. I'm sure the pup isn't running blinds, it's mostly likely hunting blinds, and there's a difference. Hunting a blind the dog is head down tail up quartering a line in the direction sent. Running a blind the dog is looking forward head up, tail straight, moving with confidence.
    Sounds like the pup hasn't been force fetched or it was done incorrectly. If force fetch was done correctly the pup would carry the bumper square and not by the throw cord.
    The pup doesn’t understand the command here/heel.
    Put a check cord on the pup and start over from basic OB.
    Take your time in training. Remember this when training. Be Firm, Fair and Consistent
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Woodducks, all of this advice is great advice. The best thing I can tell you is what roseberry advised you a month or so back. Try to find someone nearby to train with that has trained labs before. You need a little experienced help. You can help them by shooting and throwing birds, they can help you train your girl. It's really hard to be a one man band if you have never played an instrument. Good luck out there.
    Bill Davis

If I lived in Eufalia, I would make a point of contacting Dan and Gloria Devos of Baypoint Kennels to see if I could go and visit and watch them train and perhaps have them look at your dog. You are missing something in your training. They will be heading home shortly so you may have missed an excellent opportunity.
    There are other amateur trainers in the area who you should try to hook up with.

You have gotten some good advice already. Now remind yourself every day that your pup is a WORK IN PROGRESS and still very much a pup (entering adolescent phase now). You BOTH have lots to learn - you need to learn patience and to NOT get "fed up" with pup; pup will learn what she needs with your help and guidance. So, slow down and enjoy the journey! Good luck, and hope you can find someone nearby to help you out a bit.

Boy these guys know their stuff! I have a 20 week old Golden I have been working on, she is never off lead at this point. She is tied to my belt right now on a 6 ft. lead. In a while we will go out to play. I will put her on a 30' lead. Once I know she is 100% on "here" command then we will work off lead.

I do let her run free with my two other Golden's mainly for exercise, but she will not leave their side...

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by woodducks View Post
    The doctor says she may be coming into heat soon and could this affect why she's doing this? Sometimes she won't even pick up the bumper and if she does she grabs it by the throw rope. I'm having the hardest time please help.
    6 month is pretty early for a Lab pup particularly a working Pup to go into season, most I'm familiar with ~ a yr. before that starts, it's not impossible just unlikely. More like you got a teenager that doesn't want to mind, I'd get out a light line and choker, let her drag that around when you work her & on retrieves. Then you can step on it, give her a jerk and pull her in, when she decides other things are more interesting than bringing the bumper back. Working with a Pup, it will be good one day and bad the next, until she's convinced your way is the better way, so just keep at it. Also @ 6mt she's got her adult teeth, time to start formalizing hold and fetch. Teach her those and get the HERE command down, and your on your way.

Also Big time Indian secret here If she's picking them up by the throw-cord, take the throw cord off, and she'll have to find another way to carry it Took me months before someone clued me in on that one
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-04-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

check cord.......Check Cord.jpg This one in the pic is 50ft. We've since graduated and cut it to 30ft as we are doing some woods work and it prevents tangling up, as well I don't really handle it anymore, just really there incase I need it.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?