The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dog Food Dispenser

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    If you take a whiff of your dog food container and it smells nasty, that's a sign but otherwise I think it's safe to go with the dates printed on the bags of dog food. Fats in human foods go off, too. Shelf life is not a problem unique to dog food.
    Yes that's the way I see it too. I occasionally when the dispenser runs empty I will clean and disinfect it before adding another bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Well all I know is that I have been storing my dog food the same way for years without any effect. Just cant believe it could go bad almost instantly upon opening. Maybe some one could make a liquid food in a sealed container with a straw and the dogs could learn to suck it right out of the bag to avoid oxidation. Think I'll also devlope a helmet for my dog to wear while running and get him a life jacket for swimming. Think I'll also keep him in on days of bad air quality. Also going to request our retriever club treat the ponds on our training grounds, cant have my dog swimming in the yucky water. They also need to clear the grounds of all the goose poop before a trial so my dog wont be eating any of it and I want contestants wearing sterile booties on their shoes and every dog should have a current health certificate before entering the grounds. I could go on and on but it's just making me more paranoid

Now ya see Steve, ya blew your whole post right there. Everybody knows you do not have bad air days in Cornish! I keep the food in the bag, roll it up and put it in the plastic container. Am I covered here?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post

Now ya see Steve, ya blew your whole post right there. Everybody knows you do not have bad air days in Cornish! I keep the food in the bag, roll it up and put it in the plastic container. Am I covered here?
    ...Every time Steve opens the food bin, particles from the bad air drop into the container, accelerating the oxidation process. If he had one of the OP's dispensers, voila, problem solved! ()

I use the vittles vaults on account of a vermin problem like this one:

Last edited by mitty; 04-07-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: grammar badness+emoticon
    Renee P

For some reason I hate opening the bins and measuring the food...the measuring scoop is either AWOL or the dogs have absconded with their food dishes. I think if there was a rodent/insect proof hopper thingy that I could hang on a wall that dispensed measured amounts of food (sort of like the things that you dispense beans from at the store), I'd consider it. I'd only need about a 40 lb version.
    Renee P

Mitty and Steve,

It's OK! Have some fun! I have my tin-foil hat on for protection!

For perspective, remember the OP asked if anyone would be interested in a dog food dispenser. I responded no, I wouldn't, and was asked for my reasoning. When challenged I shared information from a credited source. I'm not saying you have to believe the author. I'm just sharing information as I was asked to do.

Mitty asked how an opened food bag (rolled tightly shut after each feeding) and food stored in a food safe container (with dead air space above the food level) is different, as far as oxidation is concerned. Try to imagine a lit candle in a bag that is tightly rolled shut verses a lit candle in a container with air space. Which candle would burn longer? The one with the most available oxygen in the container. Therefore, there would be a greater degree of oxidation within that container as opposed to a tightly rolled bag. It makes sense to me and to the author I quoted.

The next time you read a post about skin problems, unexplained lameness, or cancer; just remember "we are what we eat". You can focus on training programs and bloodlines, but without superior nutrition our dogs may not reach their ultimate potential or live as long and healthy lives as they could have.

Tin-Foil Hat Regards!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Swack, I was just funnin' Steve (who I know). I did look at the article you mentioned, but it was written for pet owners and did not have references. I looked up the author on google scholar but I did not find anything quickly, he has a common name. If you have a reference to a study about dog food going rancid in plastic bins, I would love to read it.

Commercial dog food is about convenience, as is the dispenser proposed by the OP. If we truly wanted what was best for our dogs, we would feed them real food.

Now I'm feeling guilty about the breakfast I just served the pups, sardines for everyone!

P.S. That picture really IS why I use the bins.
    Renee P

This is what I use and I like it. It is in expensive and keeps critters out like mice or insects. Sorry but I just cant believe that a bag of food that zips through this thing in a week is going bad and is bad for the dogs. Especially when a dog will eat any nasty a$$ thing they can get their lips on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    This is what I use and I like it. It is in expensive and keeps critters out like mice or insects. Sorry but I just cant believe that a bag of food that zips through this thing in a week is going bad and is bad for the dogs. Especially when a dog will eat any nasty a$$ thing they can get their lips on.
    Steve, I will check it out next time I hit Cabelas!
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Swack, I was just funnin' Steve (who I know). I did look at the article you mentioned, but it was written for pet owners and did not have references. I looked up the author on google scholar but I did not find anything quickly, he has a common name. If you have a reference to a study about dog food going rancid in plastic bins, I would love to read it.

Commercial dog food is about convenience, as is the dispenser proposed by the OP. If we truly wanted what was best for our dogs, we would feed them real food.

Now I'm feeling guilty about the breakfast I just served the pups, sardines for everyone!

P.S. That picture really IS why I use the bins.
    Mitty,

No offense taken. I don't have any studies about dog food spoiling in plastic bins, but I do have anecdotal evidence. A buyer of one of my pups was having trouble with their dog being a "finicky eater". They thought she got tired of her food and was refusing to eat it, so they got a different brand trying to find one she would eat better. Each time she would do well for a while and then would become finicky again. After a few phone calls on the subject I asked how they stored her food. They told me they kept it in a sealed plastic container. I related my concerns that the food may begin to spoil over time when exposed to the air within the container. They started to store the food in its bag rolled tightly closed and then put into the container. They have had no more problem with their "finicky eater".

Steve,

If you go through a bag a week the food won't likely "spoil" to the point it is bad. However, it isn't like we're talking about an "either it's fresh or it's spoiled" situation. "Fresh" to "Spoiled" is a continuum. I prefer to try to slow the oxidation process as much as I can without going to extremes (like vacuum packing and freezing individual servings). So for me, the small added convenience of a dog food dispenser is out-weighed by the potential sacrifice of freshness of the food. Additionally, I may feed a few different formulations of dog food at a time; one for the puppy, one for my brood bitch, and another for the older dogs; so it wouldn't be as practical in that situation.

You may do as you please. I was only responding to the OP who asked if folks would be interested in using such a product. It's not something I'd use.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer