The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Blind...angle to

Default Permanent Blind...angle to

I have permanent blind set up out to about 200 yds. that i've been running "Rip" on (@ 3x per session). My question is ....What's your opinion on changing the angle/approach to that blind (day to day)? Keeping the wind at my back while training...

Why?

Don't you think it might be a better use of your time to teach your dog to run blinds rather than sending your dog to the same destination several times a day, day in and day out?

A blind is much more than it's destination.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rip DaDog View Post
    I have permanent blind set up out to about 200 yds. that i've been running "Rip" on (@ 3x per session). My question is ....What's your opinion on changing the angle/approach to that blind (day to day)? Keeping the wind at my back while training...
    Are you doing blind drills or something to go with this?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    Why?

Don't you think it might be a better use of your time to teach your dog to run blinds rather than sending your dog to the same destination several times a day, day in and day out?

A blind is much more than it's destination.
    ..Trying to improve his momentum, through confidence (with repitition) >>>set up this Perm. blind a few days ago and planned on running it a few times per week. Then picking a new location.

The down side is will probably kill confidence...without confidence on blinds that are not familiar, you have little momentum. Run blinds on old marks or old blinds some, but not on a daily basis of one blind. Have many different blinds that seem vaguely familiar to the dog and the fido can feel like something is out there. He may not remember "exactly" where and that's the idea. Pup will gradually gain more confidence and momentum follows. This follows running pattern blinds, then blind drills of those pattern blinds, and then taught(teach the blind and put pup up for a while) and old blinds in many different places.
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 04-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

...thought it would improve confidence and his distance on a blind. & also improving his lines.
    Last edited by Bill Slutsky; 04-04-2013 at 12:17 PM.

In my opinion, it is better to have at least 3 taught/pattern blinds than to resend to a single blind multiple times, unless you are doing the "swish" drill.

Cindy Von Sutphen

Dai Suki Desu MH
    Reed Lanes Ladies Love a Rockstar CGC
    LPK's If I Can Call You Betty (da behbeh gurl)

...thought it would improve confidence and his distance on a blind. & also improving his lines.
    You can get there that way. But there are far more efficient ways. Permanent blinds are something I use for only a brief period. One PB to one location, from one location - but build a pattern...for example a 3-leg pattern with 3 blinds run from the same location. That's a tried and true way to start blind running before transitioning to cold blinds.

I think there can be some benefit to running one pretaught blind from several different locations. But the benefits are usually small, and not very time efficient.

Evan
    Last edited by Evan; 04-04-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

..Trying to improve his momentum, through confidence (with repitition) >>>set up this Perm. blind a few days ago and planned on running it a few times per week. Then picking a new location.
    What you need to do is go to the field and do pattern blinds that would be the correct way to train the dog. School blinds like what your doing don't accomplish much.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    What you need to do is go to the field and do pattern blinds that would be the correct way to train the dog. School blinds like what your doing don't accomplish much.
    I agree. They surely do precious little for lining.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile