The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Blind...angle to

Cindy, "understood and argree", but was thinking that if i changed the angle/approach to this blind (from day to day) beacause of wind direction would it confuse him. Tx, Bill

Evan, Problem is sometimes momentum on his pattern blinds, (possibly through boredom)..which I try to avoid..also thought on incorporating a mark to improve drive on the 3-legged PB ? Tx, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Rip DaDog View Post
    Evan, Problem is sometimes momentum on his pattern blinds, (possibly through boredom)..which I try to avoid..also thought on incorporating a mark to improve drive on the 3-legged PB ? Tx, Bill
    Use a white lineing stake on your PB's so the dog will finish strong. And only run each stake once or twice.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip DaDog View Post
    Part of why that happens on PBs is how the overall training day is scheduled. I start each day...any day...with marks; preferrably with at least one flyer. Do that everyday before any drill work and watch his attitude. If he's still a bit sour, stop PBs for a couple weeks and just mark him. When you go back to PBs don't leave marks behind!

For marks with blinds, patterns can help. But I suggest some isolated drill work for that before adding marks to your pattern. Something like a Four Phase drill.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Part of why that happens on PBs is how the overall training day is scheduled. I start each day...any day...with marks; preferrably with at least one flyer. Do that everyday before any drill work and watch his attitude. If he's still a bit sour, stop PBs for a couple weeks and just mark him. When you go back to PBs don't leave marks behind!

For marks with blinds, patterns can help. But I suggest some isolated drill work for that before adding marks to your pattern. Something like a Four Phase drill.

Evan
    Do I have this right your telling this person that they need a shot flyer every training day before drill work? Don't you think that's a little unrealistic? I agree with pretty much everything your saying but for the average person training a dog a shot flyer at every training session won't happen.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Boy View Post
    Do I have this right your telling this person that they need a shot flyer every training day before drill work? Don't you think that's a little unrealistic? I agree with pretty much everything your saying but for the average person training a dog a shot flyer at every training session won't happen.
    Specifically, what I'm saying is
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I start each day...any day...with marks; preferrably with at least one flyer.

Evan
    It varies, person to person, whether or not they can.
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I started running blinds last weekend. All doubles, except one triple a few nights ago, and never to the same locations. He is doing well. Sounds like your conditioning the dog to run to a given spot, not you casting your dog to the blind.

Part of building his confidence, is NOT BLOWING THE WHISTLE!!! Make sure you let him carry even if he is not going exactly the right way. If he is going in a 45* cone I will let him carry , right to the edge of where we might not recover. DON"T nit pick him on the line. If he picks out a spot anywhere remotely close to where you want him to go , send him, even if it is not on line to the blind. And then let him carry it. ONLY correct for not stopping, not going and not coming , and very littel corrections if possible.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

You should change angels, distance, everything, The point of a permanent blind is to give the dogs confidence to run fast and long to a point that he knows there will always be bumpers. So you can basically send him from anywhere, from any distance and he knows where he's going. Once he knows it you change up the line etc. and teach him different correct ways to get there. The pile is permanent, the correct ways of getting there are numerous. Permanent blinds are great way for teaching run long and run straight, despite obstacles.

My dogs have about 5-6 permanents through out our training area, that they can run upwards to 700 yards too, through various ponds, up and down hills, etc. Once they are taught you can run them from anywhere, on any line and the dog will finish up strong because they know where they are going.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-04-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

one of the pitfalls to teaching a permanent blind, especially if you have limited land resources,is that you are teaching a dog to return to an old fall...If I have access to a good field the last thing I want the dog to think or to look at is a spot where they have been sent numerous times,what if you need to get the dog to drive past that spot to get another bird,what if you throw a mark along that same angle...

sometimes a single aspirin is a good thing for what ails you....but a whole bottle may kill you...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"