The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Permanent Blind...angle to

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    one of the pitfalls to teaching a permanent blind, especially if you have limited land resources,is that you are teaching a dog to return to an old fall...If I have access to a good field the last thing I want the dog to think or to look at is a spot where they have been sent numerous times,what if you need to get the dog to drive past that spot to get another bird,what if you throw a mark along that same angle...

sometimes a single aspirin is a good thing for what ails you....but a whole bottle may kill you...
    Ahh but that's where you put in the training to teach them not to return to old falls by placing blinds/ marks in different locals, using the permanent blind suction as temptation Still I agree, a PB is not something you run everyday, just every once in awhile.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    one of the pitfalls to teaching a permanent blind, especially if you have limited land resources,is that you are teaching a dog to return to an old fall...If I have access to a good field the last thing I want the dog to think or to look at is a spot where they have been sent numerous times,what if you need to get the dog to drive past that spot to get another bird,what if you throw a mark along that same angle...

sometimes a single aspirin is a good thing for what ails you....but a whole bottle may kill you...
    I like that analogy!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    You should change angels, distance, everything, The point of a permanent blind is to give the dogs confidence to run fast and long to a point that he knows there will always be bumpers. So you can basically send him from anywhere, from any distance and he knows where he's going. Once he knows it you change up the line etc. and teach him different correct ways to get there. The pile is permanent, the correct ways of getting there are numerous. Permanent blinds are great way for teaching run long and run straight, despite obstacles.

My dogs have about 5-6 permanents through out our training area, that they can run upwards to 700 yards too, through various ponds, up and down hills, etc. Once they are taught you can run them from anywhere, on any line and the dog will finish up strong because they know where they are going.
    No offense however I feel that makes the handler feel good but the dog learns very little after the second time running said "Blind."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S. View Post
    No offense however I feel that makes the handler feel good but the dog learns very little after the second time running said "Blind."
    You are right on the money! Or as the late Mr. Carr would have put it, "Salve for the handler"!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Welp Any drill is only as good as what you use it for. My dogs can run hard and straight, 700 yr and beyond, at any angel, negotiate a line through multiple factors and obstacles, down shores, over points, key-holes, with multiple water entries and exits, and never think about slowing, popping, or doing anything other than running straight back, unless I choose to stop them. If that's handler "Salve" I'll take a bit of it every now and again . But I'm a simple person, Run back and run straight, I'm happy, blowing whistles, especially those big green ones can be very hard on the lungs, and has the tendency to give one vertigo.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-05-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Welp Any drill is only as good as what you use it for. My dogs can run hard and straight, 700 yr and beyond, at any angel, negotiate a line through multiple factors and obstacles, down shores, over points, key-holes, with multiple water entries and exits, and never think about slowing, popping, or doing anything other than running straight back, unless I choose to stop them. If that's handler "Salve" I'll take a bit of it every now and again . But I'm a simple person, Run back and run straight, I'm happy, blowing whistles, especially those big green ones can be very hard on the lungs, and has the tendency to give one vertigo.
    If they are good markers then you have a National dog on your hands.
    700 yards. Wow.

My dogs can run hard and straight, 700 yr and beyond, at any angel, negotiate a line through multiple factors and ....But I'm a simple person, Run back and run straight, I'm happy, blowing whistles, especially those big green ones can be very hard on the lungs, and has the tendency to give one vertigo.
    If he lines like that what are the whistles for?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile