The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pad soreness after surgery

Default Pad soreness after surgery

My dog is having a second flare up from IMO being back on concrete. After the first flare up Dr Milton x-rayed his leg and the knee looked great per him. He looked at his hips also and they looked fine. Both flare ups came after being in the kennel full time again. This second time he was kenneled for two days in a row and stayed the night in the kennel. He shows his greatest tenderness when he has to walk on my gravel drive and much less in the grass. Has anyone else dealt with this post surgery? Fwiw it was a tplo and he has been off concrete for 4 months or so. his first flare up went away with rest and getting back in the crate. He has been back in training to a lesser extent for about a month now with no visible problems. He also trained pretty hard fri-sun this past week and showed no signs until today.

I have 0 experience with knee injuries in dogs and tplo's so take this with a grain of salt BUT being a human with a problem knee myself, the thing that makes it the most sore is walking on a slippery surface. I don't know why but any slippage (ice, wet or waxy floor, etc) is painful. I can do just about anything on good grip soil or flooring without pain. Anyway- is the concrete wet or slippery at all? Gravel would be kind of rolly-not stable, maybe has the same effect- grass better grip.... I don't know, just a thought...
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

No not slippery nor is the gravel. He just acts like it hurts his pads to walk on the rocks. He has only shown soreness walking on the drive after being on concrete both times.

What are you using to clean the concrete?

Hey! This is my first post.
    I've been here a while.
    Long enough to know there is a "canuckkiller" on the site.
    Should I keep in hiding?

Canuck
    Last edited by Canuck; 04-04-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Not really cleaning with chemicals just spraying out.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post

Hey! This is my first post.
    I've been here a while.
    Long enough to know there is a "canuckkiller" on the site.
    Should I keep in hiding?

Canuck
    Welcome to the site! I think you are okay though, I heard that the Canuckkiller is all bark no bite! lol

claimsadj- is he sore on all feet or just the bad leg?
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

This time just his leg that was operated on. Last time it seemed to be both rear legs.

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    My dog is having a second flare up from IMO being back on concrete. After the first flare up Dr Milton x-rayed his leg and the knee looked great per him. He looked at his hips also and they looked fine. Both flare ups came after being in the kennel full time again. This second time he was kenneled for two days in a row and stayed the night in the kennel. He shows his greatest tenderness when he has to walk on my gravel drive and much less in the grass. Has anyone else dealt with this post surgery? Fwiw it was a tplo and he has been off concrete for 4 months or so. his first flare up went away with rest and getting back in the crate. He has been back in training to a lesser extent for about a month now with no visible problems. He also trained pretty hard fri-sun this past week and showed no signs until today.
    Does he pace in the kennel?
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

No not really. He is pretty calm in there. It has pretty well gone away now that he's back in a crate vs the concrete. He's been ripping and roaring with the rest of the crew when they air. He is almost back normal again just like last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    Does he pace in the kennel?