The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rutgers President passing the buck

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    I think we tend to hold people not personally involved with a situation too responsible. If I were a University president I would stay as far away from the sports programs as possible. Collegate sports have out grown the college mission.

Not to compare this to recent events but, Ohio State president Gordon Gee had his car towed from a university parking lot recently: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/...ar-towed_.html I liked his response. Hard to say how he would respond to Rutgers or Penn State type situations.

Tom
    Gee just went through this with Jim Tressel.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-espn-magazine

Gee is really good at this type of thing... and failed miserably. And AD Gene Smith is still AD--which is truly astounding. The whole thing, tatoos and all, was a silly mess. If one--just one--person had done his job, beginning with the players, it would have come to almost nothing.

But I never liked Tressel--he struck me as a closet jerk, whereas Urban makes absolutely no bones about it. There's something to be said for that. In fact, I don't even remember what it was, but not too long ago he did something stupid and sexist and/or homophobic (pink jerseys for underperforming players, maybe?) and he basically was like, "woops! Ya caught me being a jerk. Sorry. We'll do something else." He's still a jerk, but at least he's out there with it. I give him 5-7 years. He'll get overconfident and try to hide something at some point. Or he'll have created a bunch of monsters and their behavior will doom him, whether he tries to cover up or minimize it, or not.

Anyway, Gee proved he's no different than most.

"Let's make this go away" is the default, with "It's no big deal," "Everybody does it," and "remember we're dealing with kids" (code for "Boys will be boys") as the excuse.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I found it questionable how in light of the Penn State scandal the President of a University wouldn't take thirty minutes to watch a tape after being informed that a coach (that is being paid a million+) is being suspended for abuse and yelling racial slurs. I found his response (or lack of), to the question of whether legal counsel had advised him against watching the tape most telling. Either way his lack of action is going to cost the University millions and he takes no responsibility for it, is that who we want as a leader of men? His only action through the whole thing was to fire two people in hopes of saving his own job, well done.
    Your right. Therefore, I've changed my mind. Everyone who receives a paycheck for delegating responsibility and authority should be fired when that responsibility is not met. I believe that every time that a vehicle get recalled, everyone should be fired up to and including the CEO. I believe that when a price is mis-marked on grocery store self, every one should be fired up to and including the CEO. I believe that every time a supervisor actually makes an employee do his job, and thereby abuse said employee, that every one, up to including the CEO should be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter View Post
    Your right. Therefore, I've changed my mind. Everyone who receives a paycheck for delegating responsibility and authority should be fired when that responsibility is not met. I believe that every time that a vehicle get recalled, everyone should be fired up to and including the CEO. I believe that when a price is mis-marked on grocery store self, every one should be fired up to and including the CEO. I believe that every time a supervisor actually makes an employee do his job, and thereby abuse said employee, that every one, up to including the CEO should be fired.
    There you go, a little extreme but still better than Brachi's bury your head in the sand approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Truth be told, I was somewhat surprised one of his players didn't turn on him and beat the piss out of him!!!
    Ah yes, shades of Latrell Sprewell choking out another well known in your face coach PJ Carlisimo...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Yeah, I had sort of forgotten about Tressel. I don't remember that fiasco getting the national attention the Rutgers or Penn State cases did. Of course, it was a big deal here in Ohio.

While I tend to root for OSU most of the time I don't schedule my life around games. I'm not an alumni but did work for OSU for five years. The funny part is my wife is an alumni, one of the first women to march in the band for four years and the last game she marched was Woody's last game. She thinks of football as foolball.

Sports has become too important to universities.

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    Yeah, I had sort of forgotten about Tressel. I don't remember that fiasco getting the national attention the Rutgers or Penn State cases did. Of course, it was a big deal here in Ohio.

While I tend to root for OSU most of the time I don't schedule my life around games. I'm not an alumni but did work for OSU for five years. The funny part is my wife is an alumni, one of the first women to march in the band for four years and the last game she marched was Woody's last game. She thinks of football as foolball.

Sports has become too important to universities.

Tom
    I have no affiliations with OSU, but most of my friends went to and/or work for; great vet hospital, great hospital; if a student goes to the University knowing what he or she wants and confident enough to get it, it's a great education; as a high school teacher, I see a lot of kids come back to report, and OSU branches have a lot going for them as well.

I like OSU, and football is fun. I root because everyone is happier when they win, including me.

I don't mean to be such a Negative Nellie.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Ah yes, shades of Latrell Sprewell choking out another well known in your face coach PJ Carlisimo...
    Verbally berating a player is one thing (PJ), getting physical, throwing BB's at players nut sacks and heads are totally another (Rice).

I'm not one for players going after coaches but in a situation like this where a player for the most part is in self defense mode I believe is entirely different. IMHO
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call