RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Were do ya'll get your training birds ? (Pigeons/Ducks)

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  squirrel hunter 
#1 ·
I am having a terrible time finding birds for training, How do ya'll go about getting yours ? I have looked on craiglist, and even put up wanted ads without luck !

#2 ·
We get our birds---pheasants and ducks--- from the local shooting preserve where we work our dogs. One guy in our training group races pigeons so we get some pigeons from him. Some of us trap pigeons. There are also some locals who raise pigeons and sell them.

You can sometimes pick up dead birds at a trial, maybe even make arrangements with the club to put in an order with theirs to get live birds.

Take care of your dead birds and you can get an awful lot of mileage out of them, especially if you're single and don't have to explain old dead birds in the fridge. I am reluctant to say how many days I get out of a dead bird

#3 · (Edited)
George has good advice.. I also go to the local farms and look for pigeons..... When we find a farm with birds, just stop and ask if you can shoot'em....Most farmers want them gone... Freeze and re-use

P.S. I hunted crows in Tennessee, you should be able to find some pigeons to shoot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.