The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Were do ya'll get your training birds ? (Pigeons/Ducks)

Default Were do ya'll get your training birds ? (Pigeons/Ducks)

I am having a terrible time finding birds for training, How do ya'll go about getting yours ? I have looked on craiglist, and even put up wanted ads without luck !

We get our birds---pheasants and ducks--- from the local shooting preserve where we work our dogs. One guy in our training group races pigeons so we get some pigeons from him. Some of us trap pigeons. There are also some locals who raise pigeons and sell them.

You can sometimes pick up dead birds at a trial, maybe even make arrangements with the club to put in an order with theirs to get live birds.

Take care of your dead birds and you can get an awful lot of mileage out of them, especially if you're single and don't have to explain old dead birds in the fridge. I am reluctant to say how many days I get out of a dead bird
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

George has good advice.. I also go to the local farms and look for pigeons..... When we find a farm with birds, just stop and ask if you can shoot'em....Most farmers want them gone... Freeze and re-use

P.S. I hunted crows in Tennessee, you should be able to find some pigeons to shoot
    Last edited by Rnd; 04-05-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

for ducks it is most easy to have the retriever club you are a member of order a dozer or so extra when it orders for its next event. for pigeons, wait until dark and a flash light a fish net with a long handle and a 6-pack under an overpass can be more fun than TV time with the family.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

If raising or catching my own wasn't a viable option, I'd ask area feed stores for leads to folks who raise them or small stock auctions selling them.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2014-2015 season log)

Hey Flip, keep my number and here in a couple of months I will have some for you. I have ducks and pheasants! Local also I live on the north side of Nashville. You can order 1 or more with the more being a lil cheaper. Thanks hope that helps!

Ray Johnson
    615-828-2988

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hall View Post
    If raising or catching my own wasn't a viable option, I'd ask area feed stores for leads to folks who raise them or small stock auctions selling them.
    Local feed stores are a great resource. I contacted everyone in the area and, with several phone calls, was able to find connections to whatever I needed in the way of training birds. Made some friends along the way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    for ducks it is most easy to have the retriever club you are a member of order a dozer or so extra when it orders for its next event. for pigeons, wait until dark and a flash light a fish net with a long handle and a 6-pack under an overpass can be more fun than TV time with the family.
    I can't speak to the ducks, but Ken's right about catching pigeons--it is fun. If you do that--two pieces of advice: 1) put a red lens/cellophane on light and 2) have ID and a good story ready for when the cops check you!

I was getting them from a local farmer who raised all types of ducks, He gave them away, Now that he is headed to prison i dont think that i can get anymore, He will be gone for a long time so now i need to find a new place,