The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Honor

Default Cold Honor

Would someone please describe what a "cold honor" involves in a field trial setup.

The times I have seen it used is in conjunction with a water blind. You come to the line and there is another dog at the line. There is a bird thrown, the other dog goes and gets it, while your dog honors. Then you go into a holding blind and come out and run a water blind. When your dog returns it comes back to the line and they bring out another dog, throw the same mark. This time your dog gets the mark and the other dog honors.

It can be any blind; land or water. A test dog is online to start. That dog is in a position (separate spot like an honor line), while the first competing dog arrives at the line from which the blind will be run. A mark is thrown in close proximity to the route to the blind, and the test dog retrieves the mark and leaves the line. The first competing dog then runs the blind and is received at the "Mark" line. The next competitng dog arrives at the "Blind" line, and the procedure repeats through the field of dogs, with a by dog last.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I have actually trained on this concept/set up, but not too sure how useful it is. (except for the obvious control practice) How many of you have ever seen this at a trial? Can you explain to me the circumstances where a judge might choose to use it?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I ran one in an amateur. Lanse Brown and I set one up in a Qual. Lanse wanted to make sure the dogs had a chance to do two sets of marks, so we did the water blind for the last series with the cold honor. I like running them.

Thank you Steve! What an original and cool idea to let the dogs "play" a little longer! You still sort out your winners, but all the paying customers get an extra run. Let me know when you two are judging your next trial in New Mexico.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I have run them maybe a dozen or so times in all-age trials. Trained on them. As I judge have never set one up. It can be time consuming especially in a amateur all age waiting for open dogs and having to use bye dogs to keep it going. It is a mark so has to be judged as such, sometimes singles in all-age dogs can be very challenging to say the least. Murphy's law and Murphy was an optimist!
    Earl Dillow

I got an Open 4th at St. Louis at a trial where our water blind was cold honor. The line to enter the water was under the arc of the fall.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I got an Open 4th at St. Louis at a trial where our water blind was cold honor. The line to enter the water was under the arc of the fall.

Evan
    That could be challenging. The ones I ran were all land blinds, one was two under the arc on land. Was it a water mark Evan? Have run a live flyer with a blind when club was short handed in the first series, no honor. Lots of things I wouldn't train on as one may only see it once in a blue moon. Not worth the trouble of possible corrections. What are your thoughts on strange tests and training for them?
    Earl Dillow

Cold honor is useful when it is impractical to honor on a regular marking test, the mark creates a nice diversion for the blind and if you make the mark difficult it gives the judges one more bird to consider, and as Earl stated it is a mark and should definitely judged as one. In most instances handling on a single would be unacceptable.