The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold Honor

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

As Earl and Ed both mention, there are a lot of moving parts in a cold honor - which increase the likelihood of error and burn time.
    Judy Rasmusen and I set one up at Roberts ID a few years ago, (her idea, I'd never seen one). With two separate lines, one for the mark and one for the blind, and all the moving parts, it scared the heck out of the handlers, their eyes were spinning like pinwheels. It turned a fairly straight forward blind into a knee shaker.
    Last edited by John Robinson; 04-09-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Had an 8 year old break on a cold honor after running very good land and water blind in an Open. She never put her butt on the ground. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    I have only seen this once in an akc master ht. It was an Evan described. It scared the crap out of me and we had never trained for a cold honor. But we made it through that series.

It would me too! lol
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Decoys, cold honors, and bulldogs are becoming relics of the past in field trials, in the past 5 years when judging I have done one of the three (cold honor), have had decoys already there on several occassions, but have not done a bulldog in a very long time, I plan to put that on my to do list!

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Decoys, cold honors, and bulldogs are becoming relics of the past in field trials, in the past 5 years when judging I have done one of the three (cold honor), have had decoys already there on several occassions, but have not done a bulldog in a very long time, I plan to put that on my to do list!
    Problem with bulldog is consistency
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Problem with bulldog is consistency
    only if you do not subscribe to the 6 Ps, if it is a dead bird consistency is not a problem, if it is a flier it should be placed so that inconsistency does not create inequality

I think Ted is referring to other possible inconsistencies like the timing of the throw, if the dog is looking, maybe there is a bird wing blocking the dog's vision, etc. rather than the placement of the bird, but then again I'm usually wrong...
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

Quote Originally Posted by 8mmag View Post
    I think Ted is referring to other possible inconsistencies like the timing of the throw, if the dog is looking, maybe there is a bird wing blocking the dog's vision, etc. rather than the placement of the bird, but then again I'm usually wrong...
    ​All of the above
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Most of the time with some ofthe old school stuff, especially in the amateur, it rattles the handlers more then dogs.
    A few years back judged amateur, put a dry shot as the dog walked to the line, hidden behind a bush, about ten yards from the running line. Handlers were very nervous, land blind was in a limited area, we didn't get much out ofthe blind, dogs ran themselves, diversion was a waste of time. Put in my little book, ok done that, don't do it again. Haven't seen a bulldog in a long, long time. Master hunt test dogs or finished dogs train on it all the time. Bulldog definition, diversion bird thrown as dog returns with a retrieved mark. Boats in our neck of the woods aren't used too often because of technical water available. Threw a couple of boat birds judging a amateur a few years back, now that was interesting watching dogs hunt behind the boats. Rat traps or floaters , shoreline or out to sea, were often used in water tests, don't see much anymore. Maybe bring some of this back in field trials, rather then one long swim will get you all the answers
    You need or how tight can we get our marks. My co-judge and myself set up a set of ticky tacky water blinds a few years ago, dropped many dogs because of failures, some all-age dogs just don't handle very well on shorter blinds. Got accused of setting up a hunt test in a field trial. So be it. Maybe judges should be a little more creative, without tricking the dogs, rather then whatever they saw at the last weekend trial or what the pros set up at their training session.
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 04-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Earl Dillow

​All of the above
    Field trials are inherently filled with inconsistencies, I think it is important to consider the whole rather than minutae like a wing over the face, bulldog birds are memory erasers and they are usually thrown in open water so even if the dog doesn't see the bird they should get it, the timing of the throw is no different than any other throw, controlled by the judge, if consistency is the concern let's talk about poison birds, fliers, good light, bad light, wind shifts, honoring, etc.